Bent Billiard

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
scotties22

Bent Billiard

Post by scotties22 »

The stem is long and the shank is a little on the thick side......it was on purpose. There is a little bump at the stem/shank junction (on the top) that happened when I bent the stem. I put a little bit too much pressure right at that point on the stem and made a flat spot. I am going to try to pop it out with a little bit of heat......we'll see what happens

.153" behind the button. I think the button itself is still a little tall, but felt like I was getting too close to the slot to take it any shorter....I think it's right at .22". I haven't had that "Ah-Ha" moment with stem making yet, but feel like I am getting close. They really are getting easier, but that doesn't mean I like them any more :lol:

French Briar
Cumberland stem

Length:5.98"
Height: 1.77"
Width: 1.26"
Chamber: .75" x 1.34"
Weight: 38 grams

Any and all comments and critiques are welcome.
Thanks for looking.

Scottie
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Yak

Re: Bent Billiard

Post by Yak »

Deleted as irrelevant.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

So I finally got tired of looking at this pipe and decided to make a new stem for it. While I was at it I sandblasted it. I took a bit more off the bottom of the bowl to bring the "lowest point" back towards the shank. I would have taken it a bit further, but there just isn't any more fudge room left under the bowl. I think it looks better now, but I'm not totally satisfied.

I'll take some better pictures this afternoon if the sun comes out. All comments welcome.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
N.Burnsworth

Post by N.Burnsworth »

It looks much better Scottie!
Nicholas Burnsworth
Boulder & Briar
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I think it looks really good, especially with the new stem. What looks funny to me is the front of the bowl. The widest point is too high. I like the very minimal bend in the stem personally, but it may look better with a bit more of a bend.

Really nice work, Scottie! Keep it up!
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Good job Scottie. Looks nice.I would put more bend on the stem also. :D
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

I really like the shape. I think the stoutness of the shank and stem work because they are balanced out by long graceful curves, sturdy and elegant at the same time. Very nice!
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/