New website, New Pipe.

What to buy a used tool? Looking to sell some extra stems or inlay material? Post your buy, sell, or trade requests and advertisements here.
Connlaus

New website, New Pipe.

Post by Connlaus »

I just finished my website and have a new pipe for sale on it also. Feel free to critique either or both. Thanks for looking.
http://www.knrfreehand.com
Kevin Nicholas Roe
Tyler
Site Supporter

Re: New website, New Pipe.

Post by Tyler »

I don't see a photon the available page. I'm using an ipad, if that matters.
Connlaus

Post by Connlaus »

Tyler wrote:I don't see a photon the available page. I'm using an ipad, if that matters.
Sorry about that. It does require flash. I will try to make a more traditional gallery style in the future. Thanks for the feedback. That helps allot.
Kevin Nicholas Roe
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Tyler wrote:I don't see a photon the available page. I'm using an ipad, if that matters.
I'm not sure it would matter what you were using. Photons are pretty small.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

d.huber wrote:
I'm not sure it would matter what you were using. Photons are pretty small.
And people call ME a smartass. :lol:
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
DeflictedPipes

Post by DeflictedPipes »

I can give you some notes on your website. I've been a web developer for 15 years now so I know a little bit about it. I'll critique it like these guys critique pipes. :wink:

You'll probably want to center your content in the page. Right now it skews left on a PC and right on a mobile device.
You have a menu item that changes from Gallery to Current Pipes depending on where you are on the site. Actually, it looks like your menu is a little messed up with some items not always showing.
The "Buy Now" button doesn't seem to be in the right place.
Your page title for the gallery page has a typo.
In the gallery the image is too low and the text is cut off at the bottom.
The gallery image has the text in the frame but none of the other pictures do.
The captions for your images are inconsistently spaced below your images.
You might want to left justify your caption text. That way you can avoid the single word kind of floating in the middle at the bottom.
You can add a subject to your "Contact Us" link.

Clean that stuff up and you'll have a much nicer site.

:!: If anyone else would like advice on your web site I'd be happy to help. It's the least I can do after all the information this site has provided me.
Mike
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Connlaus wrote:
Sorry about that. It does require flash. I will try to make a more traditional gallery style in the future. Thanks for the feedback. That helps allot.
I hardly do anything with my website, but it's there and people stumble across it. A quick visit to Google Analytics tells me I had about 12,000 visits in the last two years, and 15% of those were on apple mobile devices. Another 5% were other mobile devices. IOW, flash would have kept at least 2,500 people off my site.

Just an FYI.
Massis

Post by Massis »

Flash is the biggest "don't do" for small websites there is in my professional opinion. (which should be worth SOMETHING as I build enterprise websites for a living)

Like Tyler says: you're keeping a major part of your target audience from accessing your page, and another big part will probably leave soon because they're annoyed by all the Flash.

If you want a dynamic gallery, use a decent javascript library, which should be supported on 99% of your visitor's devices, and offer a working alternative for those that don't.
Connlaus

Post by Connlaus »

Thanks for all the advice on the website. I've cleaned it up a little and removed the flash. I'll be updating it and cleaning it up more in the near future.
Kevin Nicholas Roe