When you can't make one better than the last pipe.

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
sandahlpipe

When you can't make one better than the last pipe.

Post by sandahlpipe »

I've had a bad week in terms of pipe making and haven't been able to put my finger on it. I made 5 attempts at a billiard stummel and didn't like any of them. The stummels are all fine in terms of engineering and such, but I'm not very happy with them. Then I screwed up a stem just before it was ready to buff the airway showed up.

It occurred to me that the last pipe I finished is stuck in my mind. I made a pipe I was really happy with on every area. Until now. Just about every pipe has been better than the last. The one I just made seems hard for me to top.

Does anyone relate to this? Is there anything to do to overcome the hump and take it to the next level?

Ok. Thanks for letting me vent.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
cmueller

Re: When you can't make one better than the last pipe.

Post by cmueller »

We have all been there. Move on to something else and then go back to the shape.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

cmueller wrote:We have all been there. Move on to something else and then go back to the shape.
This.

You will continually go through this process of creating ok to you work followed by a breakthrough followed by struggling followed by a breakthrough and on and on again.

This is a good process. When you're struggling, you're figuring things out and addressing new questions. This will immediately decrease the quality of your work from the high point you just achieved. Take note of the new level you're working at, though. It's likely higher than it was before the breakthrough.

This is the process of progressing towards mastery and everyone goes through it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

When this happens I just make something utterly absurd. I think it helps.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
andrew

Post by andrew »

Yes. I have a small (fortunately) graveyard of stems and briar. When I get sick of looking at them I throw them unceremoniously into the garbage.
Messing stuff up is part of learning.

andrew
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I agree with the "do something different" take.

Go make an Oom Paul or something geometrically difficult, give yourself a new set of challenges for mind and hands.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

I'm in the same boat with billiards right now. I'm trying to copy a Dunhill LB, and the first one was a joke. Then I borrowed a Dunhill from someone to have in hand, and the second try came out way better. I'm still not pleased with it, but it's getting much closer.
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

sandahlpipe wrote:I've had a bad week in terms of pipe making and haven't been able to put my finger on it. I made 5 attempts at a billiard stummel and didn't like any of them.
Congratulations! You are becoming more discerning, and less accepting of mediocrity!
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

Wow, he even used the same word I did. ;) like I said on IG, you are just noticing the problems that were always there. Another few months of this type of scrutiny and you will have almost all of those tiny problems ironed out.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

When you call yourself everything in the book, You say;;Thats not me, and do something different like stated, and focus on your good points.Buy more Briar. :D
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Thank you all. I spent some time studying my Cannoy billiard and this forum and have a new recognition. I know I've been told before that a billiard doesn't have a fully symmetrical bowl, but this explains why I haven't been able to make a billiard.

And thank you for encouraging me to keep pressing on. I like the idea of making a crazy shape. I'll keep that one in mind for the next time I get stuck.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

I'm experiencing the same thing right now. For me, I think it's a two-parter. First, I've been trying to stretch myself and take some risks, which is bound to bound to be met with some initial failures. Second, what Walt said:
WCannoy wrote:Congratulations! You are becoming more discerning, and less accepting of mediocrity!
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods