pencil shank sitter

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

pencil shank sitter

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I finished A new pipe today. There are some problems and im not totally happy with the stem or the finishing. Grain is pretty blah too. Let me know what you guys think
andrew

Re: pencil shank sitter

Post by andrew »

If you turn it upside down and extended the shank through the bowl... it reminds me of Eltang's desk lamp pipe :)

andrew
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

It looks like you achieved what you were aiming at. The bowl and shank look like two separate pieces. I'm not sure how I would fix the design so it looks unified together though. Maybe I'm just grasping for something. Because it looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Pencil shanks are hard to pull off well, especially when they are as long as that one. The stem diameter is too large for the shank and there are some deeper dips right next to the bowl. You're probably painfully aware of those issues, so that's all I'll say of the matter. I struggle with the same kind of stuff.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

so you saw the wobble? lol Yeah, I nicked the shank on the wheel while I was sanding the bowl. Had to chase that out along with some tear out. I noticed the stem too Jesse. If you look at the button The stem is turned a quarter turn in the first picture. Which only proves the shank and stem arent totally round. As Sandahl pipes pointed out, the shank and bowl are kind of disconnected. It worked pretty well unfinished, but I couldn't find A way to get into that 90 degree corner to sand without creating a notch.(A notch that looks suspiciously like the intentional/unintentional notch mentioned in another post.) sandpaper wouldn't take the groove out of that junction that files create. I knew the grain wasn't great. It was another for the blaster, I just needed to finish the ring and band for the stamp. At least I think I learned something in the process.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I like it, Joe, but there's gum stuck to it in the last picture.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Joe Hinkle Pipes

geez you guys notice everything! Poster tack. I was going to edit that out. but im lazy.