New pipes - number 2 and 3

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
BrianMadsen

New pipes - number 2 and 3

Post by BrianMadsen »

Hey there! I recently joined the forum, although i have been a frequent visitor for a long time.
In january i posted pictures of my first pipe (topic called "Introduction").
Now i finished pipe number 2 and pipe number three.

Pipe 2 is my first take on a Dublin, and pipe 3 is my first bent pipe.
These pipes are both made from pre-drilled kits. Pipe 2 had some serious flaws that i filled out with epoxy and briar dust.
Pipe 3 was drilled very bad. Off-centered, and uneven in the chamber. It does not pass a pipe cleaner that well :(
Comments and criticism are most welcome

Pipe 2:

And here's pipe 3:

Ocelot55

Re: New pipes - number 2 and 3

Post by Ocelot55 »

The bent pipe is by far the better of the two. At this stage in the game focus on your transitions and overall lines. Other than that, just keep making more and more pipes. Things will start making more sense as you progress.
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

The Dublin needed a more defined shape all around. The second one (number 3?) has a nice look to it. The bottom wanted just a little more material taken off. Also, you could have made the bowl/shank transition a little sharper down on the sides. I only say this because, on my most recent pipe, I made the exact same mistake. Your button work on the stems isn't bad.

But, what Ocelot said. Keep making 'em. You know you're getting somewhere as a beginner when people can start to critique very specific details on your pipes.
- Steve S.
BrianMadsen

Post by BrianMadsen »

Thanks guys. On the bent pipe i was going for a slim heel, so that could be one of the reasons why it looks a little "meaty" on the bottom. But thanks, i'll keep working on it!
Yak

Post by Yak »

The idea you want to put across (partly by suggestion, maybe) is a cylindrical shank intersecting a round bowl almost as if it had been turned separately and inserted into a hole drilled in the bowl for it. Not quite that abruptly, but not giving much of the shape integrity of either up either.

IMO