Lundell Pipes

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Lundell

Lundell Pipes

Post by Lundell »

Hello everyone!

Let me start with a short introduction of myself. My name is Mathias Lundell. I was born in 1977 in Malmoe, Sweden. After 35 years living in the city, me and my wife bought a house in a small village. There was room for a small workshop in the basement and after two years I had figured out what I wanted to do with it. I wanted to make my own pipe! So in September last year I bought a predrilled kit with a fitted stem and had a go at it. I had never before made anything out of wood, or out of anything else for that matter, so when the final result actually resembled what I had in mind, I got excited and bought myself a drill press…

Since then I have been drilling my own briar, but using finished stems with fitted tenons. Although for the pipe I’m working on at the moment, I have bought an acrylic rod and some teflon tenons to try and make my first own stem.

I’m here to learn. I know there is about a million things I need to get better at, some of them are obvious even to me, but the rest I’m counting on you guys to point out for me!

So what have I been doing the last six months? Well here’s some of it. If you want to comment on these pipes, you’re welcome to, but it’s the ones coming up in the future I’m really interested in hearing about.
Here goes…

My first pipe:

Second pipe:

Third pipe:

Seventh pipe:

Eight:

Nine:

Ten:

Eleven:

Twelve:

Thirteen:

Well, there you go. Pipes 4-6 is missing because I didn't have any pictures of them.
One thing I promise to try and get better at is taking pictures!

Thanks for your time!

/Mathias
Yak

Re: Lundell Pipes

Post by Yak »

Very promising !

First and foremost : attention to the way the shank flows into (or collides with) the stem. Those are shaped together, as one unit (not separately and joined).

Welcome !
baiguai

Post by baiguai »

I LOVE the third pipe!
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Welcome to the forum.
The shank seem too short.
Best regards.
Félix

Bienvenido al foro.
Las caña son demasiado cortas.
Saludos.
Félix
Lundell

Post by Lundell »

Yak wrote:Very promising !

First and foremost : attention to the way the shank flows into (or collides with) the stem. Those are shaped together, as one unit (not separately and joined).

Welcome !
Thank you! I actually know that now, and have been trying to do it on the last couple of pipes, only not very well... :oops:
One of the things I know I need to get better at is PATIENCE! :wink:
Lundell

Post by Lundell »

baiguai wrote:I LOVE the third pipe!
Thank you very much! :D
Lundell

Post by Lundell »

maxmil wrote:Welcome to the forum.
The shank seem too short.
Best regards.
Félix
Thank you!
Yes, I see your point, they do look a bit short in general. Must admit I haven't given that much thought! I will try to in the future. I imagine that will be easier to do now I'm starting to make my own stems. That is if I manage to make my own stems...
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

You've got a good eye for creative rustication. The rustications on the churchwarden and the poker both would be worth experimenting with more, I think. They won't please everyone's eye, but I think they'll find their niches.
- Steve S.
Lundell

Post by Lundell »

Literaryworkshop wrote:You've got a good eye for creative rustication. The rustications on the churchwarden and the poker both would be worth experimenting with more, I think. They won't please everyone's eye, but I think they'll find their niches.
Thanks! Experimenting is the key word. I'm not sure they please MY eye even, but I was having fun, playing around with tools and material, hopefully learning a thing or two. It's all very new to me, but I'd like to think I get a little bit better with each pipe. And I hope this forum will help me in that! Thanks for the input! :)