Suggestions on removing dust from shop

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
randyhoguepipes

Suggestions on removing dust from shop

Post by randyhoguepipes »

Everyone has their own version of dust removal. Can anyone suggest something that can be rigged to capture most of the dust from my sanding disk? I am thinking about some sort of horizontal PVC pipe under the sanding disk. Thanks for the help.

Randy
caskwith

Re: Suggestions on removing dust from shop

Post by caskwith »

Lots of ways it can be done, look on youtube for pipe makers videos and you will see all sorts of setups, my own included.
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

this is my setup if you can make it out in the pics.
I have blast gates all running from the same feed for my 3 sanding discs.
hope this helps
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I like my set up, and I think it meets your requirements.
Attachments
image.jpg
(596.67 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
image.jpg
Here's something I put together a fe weeks ago after spying on Gracik on Instagram. I like it so far.
(1.92 MiB) Downloaded 209 times
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

So posting from my phone makes for huge photos. Sorry.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

if your disc is mounted on your lathe you can wedge a shop vac hose through the bottom between the lathe ways and friction will hold it close to the disc. If it is an independent setup see the other ideas.
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

randyhoguepipes wrote:Everyone has their own version of dust removal. Can anyone suggest something that can be rigged to capture most of the dust from my sanding disk? I am thinking about some sort of horizontal PVC pipe under the sanding disk. Thanks for the help.

Randy
Adopt an elephant, but make sure to have plenty of peanuts and bananas on hand.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
randyhoguepipes

Post by randyhoguepipes »

Thanks to all for your suggestions and pictures. Time to get busy...

Randy
DrewEstateSam

Post by DrewEstateSam »

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/tls/4371424965.html

I run a delta that's the same size, very mobile and just move it machine to machine as I run them
andrew

Post by andrew »

This my setup. Cheap scoop from woodcraft. Works great and the little grate in there has caught my work a couple times.

andrew
andrew

Post by andrew »

If you can, place the dust collection unit somewhere other than your work space. Garage or something. Quieter, cleaner for your shop and better for your lungs.

andrew
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

ive said it before Andrew and ill say it again. I am truly jealous of that megalithic motor you have. I bet you couldn't make it bog down if you tried.
andrew

Post by andrew »

wisemanpipes wrote:ive said it before Andrew and ill say it again. I am truly jealous of that megalithic motor you have. I bet you couldn't make it bog down if you tried.
Thanks. I don't think it knows that I'm actually using it. It just knows it has been turned on.

andrew
BobR

Post by BobR »

Andrew, I just picked up a GS2 VFD (115V input :) ) and inverter duty motor and was about to permanently mount my system. Thanks for posting your setup. It was timely. I notice yours looks mobile. I like that a lot as I'm going to use mine for both buffing and sanding. Not that I'd move it much but it might be nice to rotate it a bit. Are there wheels under that thing? Also, did you notice much of a benefit to adding the wood panel on the front that secures the motor better. Less vibration? I bought this as a motor mount which is fairly heavy and I have some isolation pads I can put under it:

I was thinking of mounting mine something like Tyler's but now I'm leaning in your direction.

I'm also seriously thinking of having a precision/balanced Beall arbor made as you suggested. When I run the current one much below 1500RPM with a 8" buffing wheel it does wobble quite a bit. Haven't tried it yet with a sanding disk or without the buffing wheel for that matter. I'll try it tonight.

P.S. FWIW, I have a 1HP motor capable of constant torque down to 90 RPM. I don't think trying to slow it down by forcing a block of wood on it would be wise. :lol:
Bob
andrew

Post by andrew »

You can mount it either way. Mine was face mount only, and I had plywood sitting on the floor next to me.... so, that's how that happened :). You'll love having a vfd. A good arbor will help you a lot (much more later, but it will still help now). Just keep in mind it will take a while to get used to new tools. The only change I made to my main shaping wheel was changing the backing. I've attempted to remove my fingernails at least twice since that upgrade. Better tools sometimes leave less room for mistakes.

andrew
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

That is a jealousy inducing motor! One of these days I will get around to setting up a variable speed motor.