No. 03

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Lowpockets

No. 03

Post by Lowpockets »

My third pipe. I was aiming for a "horn", and the plan is to make a few more. Any helpful suggestions on what's wrong with this one, and what I should focus on for the next ones would be helpful.
Attachments
image.jpg
(117.66 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
image.jpg
(102.35 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
image.jpg
(117.8 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
Lowpockets

Re: No. 03

Post by Lowpockets »

Attachments
image.jpg
(106.26 KiB) Downloaded 261 times
image.jpg
(103.77 KiB) Downloaded 261 times
image.jpg
(103.18 KiB) Downloaded 261 times
Lowpockets

Post by Lowpockets »

Attachments
image.jpg
(122.69 KiB) Downloaded 261 times
image.jpg
(89.47 KiB) Downloaded 261 times
Lowpockets

Post by Lowpockets »

Attachments
image.jpg
(107.41 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
image.jpg
(120.68 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
Alden

Post by Alden »

Thats going to be hard to smoke. Take most of the bend out of the stem and it will be a lot better.
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

from a design point of view, ryan is right. take some of that bend out of the stem and it should help it from spilling ash when smoking. if you hadn't been determined to keep that plateau im sure it could have turned into a nice Zulu. the shape has unfortunately become amorphous.

from a pipe making stand point, you need to keep the stem and stummel together when sanding and buffing. you have rounded consequently rounded over your shoulder on the shank and stem just enough to be noticed. also your staining is a little blotchy.

however please take that with a grain of salt because this is only your 3rd ever pipe. its pretty damn good as such.

evan
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I agree with what's been said so far. The shape is very amorphous which usually isn't all that pleasing aesthetically. If you look at the second picture, there's a ton of briar that could be removed on the heel of the pipe to make a more graceful and better defined shape. That and less bend in the stem would improve this piece significantly. It's difficult to incorporate plateau into a shape and it work. On this pipe, I don't think it works. All that sounds bad but this really isn't a bad pipe considering it's only your 3rd. Keep at it.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Lowpockets

Post by Lowpockets »

Thanks for the comments. It sounds like there is a consensus on the bend in the stem!

Evan: is the blotchy staining from poor sanding, from how I'm applying the stain, or ...?

Leaving the plateau on (I knew I'd hear about that) was due to a very deep slot shaped crevice in the plateau. If I took the plateau of, I'm not sure how much more material I'd have to remove after -I figured this was safer, but I do see how it impacted the shape.

As far as "horns" go, am I close?
Attachments
image.jpg
(160.77 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

stain blotchiness can be from both the briar being a suborn bitch and also from poor sanding.

I cant tell you forsure which one its occuring from.

another source for blotchy or uneven stain on the composition is when you leave a plateau/live edge. you need to lay down a sealer before you stain that plateau. it absorbs extra well for some reason and consequently makes it harder to get that same high contrast everywhere else on the pipe. id recommend doing a contrast stain with darker colours to start and then working up to a dark and light contrast.

hope that helped

Evan