5th pipe re-shaped

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
cmueller

5th pipe re-shaped

Post by cmueller »

Let me know what you guys think.

Ocelot55

Re: 5th pipe re-shaped

Post by Ocelot55 »

That's one hell of a cant! Since that's not really a traditional shape I don't really know what critique to offer...

Keep em' coming!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Thin out the stem at the button. Keep the stem attached when shaping the shank. Take a touch more off the heel. I'm assuming you are going for a cutty/belge shape here. If that's the case, you've taken too much material off at the base of the bowl. It should be wider than the rim. Your rim is wider than the base which makes it start to look more like a Dublin. Not bad for a 5th pipe.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

If you are going for a Cutty, I feel it's one of the more difficult shapes.
If it is, take off the chin and you're almost there.
There is a problem at the mortise. Keep the stem in the pipe while you work that area. The briar, where the mortise meets the stem, should never be rounded. That needs to be worked as on piece, never separately.
amindtobemolded

Post by amindtobemolded »

Does the rule regarding shaping the shank with the stem attached apply to using prefab Lucite stems as well? Or should I be worried about scratching the Lucite that way? What is the best way to achieve a flush fit without messing up the Lucite stem?
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Premold stems still need to be altered to fit the pipe. You're going to have to work it like a handmade stem shaping with files and sandpaper and buff. So, don't worry about scratching it. You're supposed to.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
amindtobemolded

Post by amindtobemolded »

Great, thanks Wayne. I like your work by the way. I enjoy looking through your gallery because there seems to be a great variety of styles. Keep up the good work so I can keep enjoying it haha,
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

wdteipen wrote:Premold stems still need to be altered to fit the pipe. You're going to have to work it like a handmade stem shaping with files and sandpaper and buff. So, don't worry about scratching it. You're supposed to.
^^^Yes.^^^ It took me way too long to figure this out on my own.
- Steve S.