Introduction

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
BrianMadsen

Introduction

Post by BrianMadsen »

Hey there! i've been a long time lurker on this site, and i have gathered a lot of info on pipemaking through the last 3 years or so.
About me: I'm from Denmark, i'm a passionate fly- and spinfisher, and i play guitar in a doom metal band, and now i can add pipemaking to my hobby list.
I've wanted to start making pipes on my own for a long time, and now i finally got to it. About a month ago i finished my first pipe, and here's how it looks:

The pipe is made from a pre-drilled kit. My tools so far is my Proxxon Micromot, electrical drill mounted with sanding disc, and a few hand tools and sandpaper.

Any comments or critique are more than welcome

- Brian
wdteipen

Re: Introduction

Post by wdteipen »

That's a fine first pipe. Clean up the stem to shank transition and get rid of the slight dip on the top of the shank where it meets the bowl and it would be vastly improved. It also appears that the shank meets the bowl a tad low but not bad. The bowl proportions are a touch off but not bad. It's a very nice first. Good job.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
BrianMadsen

Post by BrianMadsen »

Thanks Wayne. I am aware of the little dip between bowl and shank, and that is something i have to practice a little more.
What do you mean with the bowl proportions? too big, or not defined enough, or...?

It's difficult for me to get the stem/shank transition more smooth, because i'm very short on tools, but i will of course practice that on future pipes.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Proportions was a poor choice of word. The shaping is a bit off. The front of the bowl and the back of the bowl should somewhat mirror each other. It's like the front of the bowl is an apple and the back is a billiard.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
BrianMadsen

Post by BrianMadsen »

Now I understand :) I had some trouble with deep sanding marks on the back of the bowl, so i probably sanded a bit too much on the back, and not so much on the front. I was going for an apple shape, so i'm glad that at least the front looks like that hehe.