The first to erupt in 2014

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
millerman

The first to erupt in 2014

Post by millerman »

Hi everyone. I started this volcano right after Christmas. I stained it last weekend, but with temperatures this week in the single digits, I didn't want to stand in front the breeze of a buffing wheel. So I waited until today when the temperature got into the low 40s. I've got a good friend at work, who's birthday is next Sunday. He's been wanting a pipe but can't seem to ask for one to be made for him to purchase, because he doesn't smoke. And he doesn't like the classic shapes as much as freehand pipes. So when I started this one I decided it was going to be a gift for his 64th birthday. After all he has helped me out plenty of times. He recently gave me a motor for my newly acquired metal lathe. I hope everyone enjoys looking at it as much as I've enjoyed making it. Aspecial thank you to my wife who took the pictures with her new camera it made a big difference. Thanks fer looking.

Tyler
Site Supporter

Re: The first to erupt in 2014

Post by Tyler »

Cracks like those in the bottom of the bowl usually go DEEP. Are you sure they don't go into the bowl? You can check by plugging the tobacco chamber and blowing through the stem.

Good work, and keep having fun.
millerman

Post by millerman »

The cracks don't seem to go deep enough to get in the bowl. I checked the way you said and it all seems pretty tight. Thanks fer the tip, and kind words.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Well done, put several coats of liquid glass and with the last coat put some powered charcoal inside the bowl and shake up. You have to do it fast since the glass dries quickly.Then blow out all of the loose charcoal after 20 min or so.It may give you a chance to build some carbon in it.Otherwise you could possibly get a burn out.Hope this helps , if not you get to make him another pipe. :)Those cracks are a PIA.