Not New But Altered

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
WBill

Not New But Altered

Post by WBill »

I haven't made a pipe from scratch yet but I'm just waiting on the wood to arrive. In the meantime I ordered several inexpensive Calabresi pipes of the same design because I liked the shape and they are great smokers. I decided to try some shank extensions with a few just for practice and this is what I ended up with. The first picture is the original pipe and the other two are the ones I put the extensions on. This is my first attempt and I'm not completely happy with the results, but not too bad.

http://www.bgimg.com/
Nick

Post by Nick »

looks like you did a pretty nice job there
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Those are two very well made extension, IMO. How were they made?
WBill

Post by WBill »

I made both extensions on my 7X12 metal lathe. The wood extension has a piece of 6061 aluminum that started off as a one inch diamiter rod I turned to fit in the shank and a little larger O.D. for the wood and turned the I.D. for the tenon on the stem. The metal extension, I just turned the large part of the stem down and glued the extension on.

I did all the work on the lathe, drilling, boring, turning, sanding and shaping of the extensions and stems.

Bill
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Impressive. Well done.
marks

Post by marks »

Tyler wrote:Impressive. Well done.
Ditto