new freehand pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
costi

new freehand pipe

Post by costi »

hi guys!

although this is my fourth pipe this is my first post in the forum. this is also a freehand but this time it's made of pear wood. the wood is not treated in any way just dryed for approx. four years.

you can also check out my other three pipes here (the red one is of maple and the other two are of algerian briar)

please be objective!

magruder

Post by magruder »

Hi Costi,

Very interesting wood. Looks like it would be very pretty in person. Contrast staining might accentuate the "tiger eye" look to the grain.
I like the way you followed the grain lines. Is this a light or heavy wood? Can you describe the smoking qualities of Pear wood?

As to the shape and lines themselves, I'd say overall the pipe looks a bit porky or zoftig. That is magnified by the stem size and lines and the bowl size.
My first reaction to the photos was " when are you going to remove the rest of the wood?"

The shape reminds me of Safferling pipes. Perhaps you could look at some of his pipes and contrast and compare yours w/his.

I look at my favorite pipemakers' work, especially those that I own, and try to ruthlessly compare my results to theirs. Some may say that is unfair, but the is no fairess in art. Only results.

All that said, I think it is a pipe of some merit. And please bear in mind that I have made a grande total of four pipes, so I cannot be considered any kind of an expert or even very experienced. This is my not-so-humble opinion. I will tell you that Ive made a decent living for several decades in
advertising photography, so I can claim a bit of an educated eye.

I posted my first two efforts on this site, so please lambast me on them if you like.

If this seems like negative comments on your pipe, it is not meant to be.
I find several things that I like about it, as stated above.

You wanted objective comments, so I am obliging. "Nice" and "Cool pipe"
are great to hear, but I find such comments don't address concerns about
the subject in concrete ways that will foster thought.

Don't mistake me, I love such comments directed to me. I also very much appreciate feedback that is more detailed and specific.

Well, I'm sure that is more on the subject than anyone wants to read, so I'll end by encouraging you to keep at it and above all enjoy it.

Personally, I'd like nothing better than to see you making pipes that are universally touted as world class. That WOULD be cool.
:thumb:

Best regards,
M.
costi

Post by costi »

thank you for your objective comments!
the staining is virgin staining so the wood kept it's own natural collor. it is true, if i would have been using a contrastant collor the wood's texture would've been more contrastant. the wood is not light nor heavy...it's more like briar and it's easy to work with it. about the smoking experience i can't tell you anything yet 'cause i haven't tried it :) but what i can tell you for sure is that the smell of the wood is excelent! it does smell like pears!
magruder

Post by magruder »

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM...Pears!
- Homer Simpson