Any Interest in 3HP and 5HP Baldor Motors ?

What to buy a used tool? Looking to sell some extra stems or inlay material? Post your buy, sell, or trade requests and advertisements here.
Alden

Any Interest in 3HP and 5HP Baldor Motors ?

Post by Alden »

I may have a line on some Baldor motors in a local auction next week.
They all seem to be 3phase and 3-5HP TEFC and Brand new in the box.
It seems like Tylers awesome variable speed setup uses a similar motor, but I can't seem to find that post.
Anyway, problem is they are listing these in lots of 9 motors at a time. I think they will sell cheap, but you never really know with auctions. They have several lots of them though, so I hope prices stay under $100 apiece. But even then we're talking $900 out of my pocket.
So my questions are;
A. Who would be willing to buy one immediately after the auction ends (I believe next wednesday).
B. How much would you be willing to pay, maximum ($100? $150?)
C. Is there a preference between the 3 or 5 horse power. If I bid, I will probably just buy whichever lot sells the cheapest
The models I have looked up are $600 to $900 motors so.....
Alden

Re: Any Interest in 3HP and 5HP Baldor Motors ?

Post by Alden »

Speed is 1750 on the models I could look up. I will drive out to the auction site next week and inspect them all in person if there is enough interest.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

SERIOUS overkill, but if for the same price as a Chinese half horsepower slopmaster special, why not? Baldor is the gold standard. You can't go wrong.

Anyone interested should know they weigh about 80 pounds:

http://www.grainger.com/product/BALDOR- ... tor-39E467
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Way more than you need for sure, but something that will last several lifetimes.
If I remember correctly, Tyler used a similar motor for his VFD setup. That is pretty much the application I had in mind for any of these motors.
Wish I could find that thread where he posted info and pictures, seems like maybe it disappeared in the recent unpleasantness.
For me the 3 phase part would normally rule it out, except I think the VFD controls have a phase converter as part of the setup.
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

while I agree with George, that's a pretty damn big motor. there is lots of hope to just buy the lot and flip it on kijiji/craigslist.

little bit of an investment, but a profitable one nonetheless.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I have 1.5 hp, 3-phase 220.

Mine's overkill. These would be dramatically so.

VFD and 3-phase are friends, so that's good.

Consider though, the VFD must be matched to the HP, and the higher the HP the more expensive the VFD.

I'll see if I can find where I bough my VFD so I can check cost, but you might chew up your advantage in cost for the motor in VFD expense.

I have a Baldor, and with some studios watching of eBay picked my motor up for $70-ish, as I recall.
Massis

Post by Massis »

Luckely I've got my shop covered motorwise, I have 2 1.5KW (that's 2HP) 1750 RPM 3-phase 220V motors, one single phase 220V 1KW motor and one 3-phase 1750 rpm of which I don't know the power (but it's big and weighs 20+kgs!).

Bought the 2 3-phase ones for €30 combined, the big one for €25 and the small one for €110 (was the first one and bought in a store even though it's a refurbished one).

More then I'll ever need in my 10m² shop :lol:
Alden

Post by Alden »

Ok, I was thinking your motor was 3 HP Tyler.
These could still be good for Lathes, Table saws etc. If they sell cheap enough I may still grab a lot.
Theres a ton of high dollar equipment in the auction, may have to grab a couple things to flip.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

I used a Baldor motor for years as a gunsmith, They are indestructible.Mine . I believe, was 1 hp.Those sound good , but too much motor at this time for me.Thanks for looking out for us.
BobR

Post by BobR »

Tyler wrote:I have 1.5 hp, 3-phase 220.
Tyler, does the RPM rating of the motor matter when used as a variable frequency drive (e.g. 1725 Vs 3450 RPM)?

Thanks.
Bob
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

BobR wrote:
Tyler wrote:I have 1.5 hp, 3-phase 220.
Tyler, does the RPM rating of the motor matter when used as a variable frequency drive (e.g. 1725 Vs 3450 RPM)?

Thanks.
I don't think so, but you need to know what speed range you need to cover and, sure your motor and VFD combination will get it.

For example, my VFD will regulate the frequency from 0-120Hz, which is to say it will turn the motor speed from 0 to DOUBLE the rated RPM of the motor. If I'm not mistaken many VFD's only adjust 0-60 Hz which would mean from 0 to rated RPM. So, if you want to spin 3450, be sure to get a VFD that will double the frequency to a 1725 rpm motor, or get a motor that will spin 3425 in the first place.

That clear at all?

Another thing to consider is the cost of electricity. No sense paying the power bill on a bunch of high HP motors that gain you no advantage.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

You guys have 3-phase power in your shops? That's impressive.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Nate

Post by Nate »

Sasquatch wrote:You guys have 3-phase power in your shops? That's impressive.
I do, but I have to make it. And making three phase ain't cheap!!
Last edited by Nate on Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Massis

Post by Massis »

Was lucky enough to have bought an old house, which has 3-phase mains arriving. Also, most belgian houses do because we run stuff like the stove in 3-phase.
So it was just a matter of fuses & cables to get 3-phase in my shop :-)
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I don't. My VFD is single-phase in, three-phase out. I, like Nate, make three-phase. :D