rhodesian

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
notow1

rhodesian

Post by notow1 »

This is My first attempt at a rhodesian. I know the stem sucks and will make a new one plus I ran into a major pit. I finished the pipe for practice and would appreciate some advice on the shaping of the stummel. I'm not sure on the angles and the bowl/shank junction. Thanks for any help and advice, Norm.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Ocelot55

Re: rhodesian

Post by Ocelot55 »

I know you think this one has problems so I don't want to point out what you already know. All I'll say is that the bowl shape looks okay, it's the shank that really diminishes this piece (excluding pits). From a design standpoint it is much to short and thin.

The Rhodesian is a hard shape to learn, so don't feel bad about attempt #1.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

The shank, shank, shank.Line of bottom and as mentioned, upper line has too much meat at bowl shank junction. This is not an easy shape to make as pointed out by one of the best.
notow1

Post by notow1 »

pipedreamer wrote:The shank, shank, shank.Line of bottom and as mentioned, upper line has too much meat at bowl shank junction. This is not an easy shape to make as pointed out by one of the best.
I think Your saying the shank isn't very good, no I'm just kidding, You and Ocelott 55 are both correct. I knew the pipe was bad but needed to confirm the shape was in the ballpark. I am making another but I'm sticking with a straight pipe with a tapered stem until I improve. Thanks for the replies, Norm.