WOW... Olive Pipes!

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
bscofield

WOW... Olive Pipes!

Post by bscofield »

Man... I had heard people mention Olive pipes before but never bothered to find a pic of one to see what the look like! That is some really nice grain! Looks great on a pipe, IMO.

This particular one is a Spanu

Nick

Post by Nick »

I saw that one. (At theitalianpipe.com I think. Or one like it.) Way cool!
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

random... it does have a little "coffee table" look to it, huh?

All in all I like the way it looks...
jeff

Post by jeff »

I guess I've always considered olivewood to be a great wood for decorative extensions and inserts, but never as the primary material for the stummel. Tradition wins this one for me and I'll stick with briar, although I may incorporate olivewood into the pipe in some way in the future.

Jeff
Nick

Post by Nick »

I've heard they smoke Va flakes very well.
jesperff

Post by jesperff »

I picked up an olive pipe in Richmond, made by Johan in South Africa http://www.jobertpipes.co.za/

I've been looking for one for quite some time and I don't like the big Italian models so it was a nice surprice to find some more moderately sized pipes, about a Dunhill group 4

The craftmanship could be a tad better and the drilling is a bit narrow in the shank but I'll 'tweek' it later. Right now it smokes great and it is well worth the money (around $75). Wouldn't know if it's particularly good with va-flakes since that's all I smoke anyway so I don't have anything to compare with ;-)

Greetings from Denmark /Jesper
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hehehe. Some one recently corrected me with that. Apparently the olive wood favors latakia, and its the lemonwood that likes Virginias.
rathpipe

African Olivewood

Post by rathpipe »

Hello All,
I picked up some African Olivewood from an exotic wood dealer in Colorado. I have never had an Olivewood pipe or have smoked one, some friends do and I do like the grain, kinda , something different. Anyway, thought I'd try one on the lathe and was surprised how hard the wood turned. The Olivewood through out dust compared to briar tossing chips. Same tools, same process and same ol' me. It sanded hard but boy, did it ever polish up.... I noticed that my African Olivewood was much tighter grain than the other Olivewood pipes I have seen. In a book at Woodcraft, African Olivewood was listed as being great for wooden spoons.

I made a big ol' billiard out of it but as it is heavy, the next one will have a larger tobacco chamber and probably a different shape. Oh yea, and it smokes my Latikia very well....

Larry
Frank

Post by Frank »

@Larry
Any chance you could post a link to the wood dealer in Colorado, plus a pic of the pipe you made with the olive wood?
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
rathpipe

Olive wood source

Post by rathpipe »

Any chance you could post a link to the wood dealer in Colorado, plus a pic of the pipe you made with the olive wood?

Hello Frank,
The fellow who sells the exotic wood is James Griffin, of Griffin Exotic Wood, 1 866 518 9663, email @ james@exoticwood.biz

He is a very nice guy and is quite talkitive about exotic woods.

I am a new guy pipe making and only make them for myself or for gifts, only made 20 or so but am improving quite a lot. They are ok but not the quality of many I have seen, still I will try to post a pic at some point. Maybe the next one. I keep the first pipe I ever made in my den ( what a piece) just to remind myself of my improvement.
Best to you,j
Larry
Walle

Post by Walle »

For olivewood-pipes have a look here

http://www.pfeifenwilhelm.de/neues.htm

please. Gerhard Wilhelm even preferes olive to briar. He reckons that the smoking qualities of both materials are alike. Olive is easier to work on, though, because ít´s slightly softer. There are no flaws or pits. In addition the grain can be very attractive. Unfortunately the wood needs long to get dry, longer than briar. The wood Gerhard is using at the moment came from Italy and got cured for some 30 years.

I own a couple of olive-pipes he made, and only can say that they´re just perfect.

Cheerio!
aqualong

Post by aqualong »

A me piace l'olivo toscano!! :D :D :D
Olivo sand e bambù.
http://www.pipe-aqualong.com/
Nick

Post by Nick »

Nice! Is that sandblasted?
aqualong

Post by aqualong »

yes,i frequently make sandblasted olive.
Last edited by aqualong on Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Very neat!
Frank

Post by Frank »

Nice use of a single bamboo "knuckle".
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Olivier

Post by Olivier »

I've made my very first pipe from olive. I used a piece of very dry wood for this but the pipe developed a dozen or so hairline cracks. I use a lot of Olive for knife handles and never had the a problem with cracks on knives. Maybe part of the problem is that I used a cross-cut section of wood for this.

I found that the first 5 times I smoked it, it tasted a bit funny. Almost like burnt popcorn. After that it was just fine.

Please don't laugh at my first attempt at this artform. Sorry the pic is a bit crappy.
dpool0859

Re: WOW... Olive Pipes!

Post by dpool0859 »

I'm no expert, but looks pretty nice for a first attempt.!