"We've got a Piper down!!!"

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
ToddJohnson

Re: "We've got a Piper down!!!"

Post by ToddJohnson »

Bypass the integral switch and use some Romex to hardwire it. You can use a standard light switch in an electrical box in between. Any marginally competent electrician should be able to do this for about $50. Once you have some breathing room, diagnose the problem and fix it with factory replacement parts.

TJ
Growley

Post by Growley »

ToddJohnson wrote:Bypass the integral switch and use some Romex to hardwire it. You can use a standard light switch in an electrical box in between. Any marginally competent electrician should be able to do this for about $50. Once you have some breathing room, diagnose the problem and fix it with factory replacement parts.

TJ
For now, I've just got the power button taped on. It seems to work fine. The new switch is on it's way, so I think I'll be right as rain by mid week.

Thanks for the help.
Growley

Post by Growley »

Final Update!

I got my machine up and running again. The culprit was the "magnetic contactor". Here's some information for any of you who may run into the same issue:

Contactor part number: 3TF31
Price via Jet: $100 +/_
Price via google...potentially much cheaper. I found what appeared to be the same piece for as low as $25.
Contactor location in the Jet BD920: This piece is located in the back of the lathe above the motor. There are 4 top screws, and 1 back screw. On my lathe was only necessary to remove the 2 front most screws on the top, and the back screw to remove the cover.

Here are some pictures of the part in question:

I hope this proves to be helpful to someone someday.

Brian.