Some New Pipes

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
ToddJohnson

Some New Pipes

Post by ToddJohnson »

Well, if you've looked at my site at all, there's no indication I've been up to much lately, but I've actually been putting in quite a lot of shop hours. I've added 5 or 6 new pieces to the catalog--basically three week's work. BTW, apropos of recent discussion, the Ndovo was colored using magic marker. If you care to check out the new stuff, just click on the following links:

For smooths:
www.stoabriars.com/alexandrian.htm
For blasts:
www.stoabriars.com/athenian.htm

Be well,

Todd
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

random wrote:Shoulda been in the Gallery thread :naughty: but I'm not gonna bust your chops over it. :)
It seems like the "gallery" is more of a "helpful critique" forum and that's not the intent of my post. I just like knowing when there are new pipes to look at (even if they're yours :thumb: ) so I thought I'd make a "General" announcement to that effect.
A while back someone somewhere mentioned that most high-grades tend to be on the small side. I've looked at your pipes many times and don't recall seeing measurements. Are they generally in the 6" range which I think is averate, or are they "on the small side"?
I've seen a *lot* of high-grade pipes from a number of makers, and I'd have to say I disagree with the generalization. Most makers run the gambit in terms of size, and I'm no different. I've seen Sixtens that would yield a 20 min. smoke, and Sixtens that would take the better part of a day to smoke. If you're interested, the Ndovo and the Moravian have measurements at the bottom of the group photos.
I'm curious as to whether whoever's comment was accurate, and if so, why high-grades tend to be on the small side.
Generalizations are rarely helpful, though it might be fair to say that the average American "split-rail-fence" pipe is larger than the average Danish "high-grade" pipe. You should go to a pipe show or two. They're real eye openers.

Best,

Todd
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

'twas my generalization... the context was being suprised at all the monster freehands when I arrived at the show. Everyone and their brothers had freehand pipes that were comparable to a baseball size (but not shape) all the way up to softball size. Because of that I began to feel that my pipes were "missing the mark" in terms of size (even tho there is no such mark, merely insecurity). All the high grade pipes were on one side of the floor. When I got there I began to feel a little better as the majority (at the show) were MUCH closer to what I have been making.

So I was generalizing (if random was even thinking of my post from Sunday) but I was just basing it off of the general high grades that were at that show (which are the first high grades I've ever gotten my hands on) :)
Nick

Post by Nick »

Way cool pipes Todd. I really like the Arabesque and the Oragami. Awesome shapes! I'm actually expecting a Michael Parkes ballerina pipe any day now. I love the shape, and you did a great job capturing the drama of the pipe. Very cool!
Brendhain

Post by Brendhain »

Todd,

Gotta ask you....which of these pipes are made from that 40 year old briar that you were refering to in another thread???

If you write that all of it is then I will be forced to hunt you down and kill you!! :P
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Todd,

I like all of them...but then again, I pretty much dig every pipe you knock out.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Brendhain wrote:Todd,

Gotta ask you....which of these pipes are made from that 40 year old briar that you were refering to in another thread???

If you write that all of it is then I will be forced to hunt you down and kill you!! :P
Hey Brendhain,

None of these are made from the old old stuff. I have a bunch of pre-turned stummells that are probably 30-40 years old. I'm in the middle of launching a new line of pipes made from these. They're all bamboos. Look for an announcement and a new website sometime after Chicago.

Todd
Nick

Post by Nick »

You know Todd, if you need a few objective testers, I'm sure you could find a volunteer or two here.
:wink: