Got me a blaster!!!!

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
scotties22

Got me a blaster!!!!

Post by scotties22 »

Well.....I finally broke down and bought a blasting set up. I have my first pipe all ready to go. I'm gonna get to work on it first thing in the morning. My compressor is a little on the small side so I am prepaired to let it play catch up and for it to take me 8 years to get a pipe blasted. But, the price was right and now I don't have to worry about sending it off somewhere to have someone else do it for me. I'll post pictures as soon as I get it done.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
LatakiaLover

Re: Got me a blaster!!!!

Post by LatakiaLover »

Why did you go and do that?

Sandblasting is its own addiction-within-an-addiction, I understand, and the solution is always, "I need a bigger setup."

Now you have two hobbies. :twisted:
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

LatakiaLover wrote:Why did you go and do that?

Sandblasting is its own addiction-within-an-addiction, I understand, and the solution is always, "I need a bigger setup."

Now you have two hobbies. :twisted:

Oh you are right there, that's why I bit the bullet and bought the biggest compressor and cabinet I could accommodate.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Well, I worked for about 20 minutes and am about half done with my first pipe. Had to take a break to go swing the kiddos. Before too much longer I'll be looking at a bigger compressor for sure. The cabinet though......it's too big already. I'm having to move my husband's stuff around to make room for it and that isn't going over too well :lol:
www.ladybriar.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Soooooo....I have a few leaks to deal with. Which I expected from a $90 cabinet from Tractor Supply. I am going to caulk everything and then cover with 100mph tape. I am also going to put some more weather striping on the door. My total blast time was right at 1:15 (I timed it because I was curious) spread over three different "sessions"...duty (kids) calls and all. Most of my time was waiting for the compressor to catch up. I can live with that. I have about $350.00 into my setup, which makes me very, very happy.....I'll still get something for Mother's Day now :D
www.ladybriar.com
archaggelosmichail

Post by archaggelosmichail »

Where are those photos? :mrgreen:
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

It is the bent apple I just posted in the gallery yesterday.
www.ladybriar.com
archaggelosmichail

Post by archaggelosmichail »

Who cares about pipes at this moment? we're talking for the other hobby now, we want to see the setup.... :lol:
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Yeah, sorry....I'm what you might call slow sometimes. I'll have to take a pic this afternoon.
www.ladybriar.com
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

Hello, I'm #1312.
That's a really big number.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Finally some pictures. Took them this afternoon before I set it up to blast a bulldog I've been working on. I did take the time to silicone all the seams and then I covered them up with Gorilla tape.....no more leaks!!! Great little cabinet for $90.

The cabinet is the bench top model from Tractor Supply

The compressor is the shitty one they sell at Harbor Freight, it's the 2.5 hp 21 gallon model. It was on sale for $159 and hard to pass up. All-in-all I've got about $300 into this setup. One day down the road I'll get a bigger compressor, but for now she'll do.
www.ladybriar.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

Sahweet!!!
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

What medium are you using/planning to play with?
Hello, I'm #1312.
That's a really big number.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I got some extra fine glass beads and 220 grit white aluminum oxide. Works really well.
www.ladybriar.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

That cabinet has a hole in the back Scotty, and if you get a shop-vac with a high-efficiency bag in it, you can suck dusty air out of the cabinet (most of the media will stay in) and not pollute your shop. This is pretty much mandatory for that rig.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

It has a hole in the back with a shitty little filter that covers it. I actually pull the cabinet outside onto the driveway (thank you Anthony Harris for that bit of advise) and then I hook the shopvac up to the filter that is on the side ( I read that in one of the reviews and it works quite well. I get the dusty air, but not the media). There is still a little bit of media that jumps out of the back, but just enought to make the back of the cabinet a little white looking. I put it on a furniture dolly so I just roll it in and out of the garage. I make sure that the back of the cabinet faces the street so I'm not blowing media right into the garage.....needless to say that's gonna be a problem on windy days :lol:
www.ladybriar.com