2 new ones

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Chadd

2 new ones

Post by Chadd »

Well, I've been quite busy in the shop. Here are two that I finished over the weekend. The briar came from JH Lowe and I a very happy with the quality of the brair Tim selected for me..of course that may have been sheer luck.

Maybe a bit too much bend in the stem on this one:

And this is something I shamlessly copied off Gert Holbeck:

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Chadd
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Chadd,

As I have told you already, those are very nice. I really really like the first one...yeah the bend might be a little too much, but hey it is still a great looking pipe. I really like the grain on the second one, very nice.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
JMB

Post by JMB »

agree with everything "achduliebe" said, but would double up by saying the "grain" in the 2nd is outstanding. Great looking pipes.
marks

Post by marks »

I agree with you Chadd about there being too much bend in the stem on the top pipe. However, that being said, both pipes are beautiful.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

chadd, how many pipes have you made??

I like both pipes. I've been meaning to create one where similar to your second one in that the line on front of the pipe follows the line on the back (elephant's foot-ish). While i think the bend is a little too much for *me* the more I look at it the more I think it fits it very well. It sort of finishes it off in a "jazzy" sort of way. Something less expected but full of character, IMO.
Chadd

Post by Chadd »

Thanks guys. This weekend, I'm gonna reheat the stem of the top pipe and soften that bend up a bit.

Ben, I've made 8 so far not counting the 2 that went striaght to the fireplace because of mis-drilling. I've found my french curve set very handy for laying out designs like these.

Since I don't own a lathe, I'm sort of restricted to making these freehand style pipes, but I enjoy the latitude of creativity you have with them.

Chadd
Nick

Post by Nick »

Both are great. I like the curve on the first pipe. It really makes it stand out. The bowl shape is great too. It looks very uniform Regarding the second, I was just thinking it looked lika a Holbeck when I read the text. Nice job on both!
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Chadd wrote:Thanks guys. This weekend, I'm gonna reheat the stem of the top pipe and soften that bend up a bit.
you should really re-consider unless your just keeping the pipe for yourself.
Chadd wrote:I've found my french curve set very handy for laying out designs like these.
What is a french curve set?
bluesmk

new pipe:

Post by bluesmk »

Hi guys,
Although this piece is only sanded to 600, and tripolied. I wanted to post it for comments. I usually tripoli after 600, easier to find file marks and heavier grit scratches. The stem isn't my original design, I made a mistake and this one is actually a punt. The briar is a piece of Romeo I acquired from Larry Roush two years ago.
Just looking for feedback.
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes

I'm going to post it in the gallery, somebody tell me how you upload a picture in a post! Please!