Newbie saying hello

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Jthompson1995

Newbie saying hello

Post by Jthompson1995 »

Hey guys (and gals), I just wanted to check in and introduce myself real quick. I have been lurking on the forum for a while and decided to finally join. I just posted pics of my first pipe here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8464 .

I am a rank newbie when it comes to pipe making but have been doing some kind of woodworking since I was a kid. In the last 10 or so years my interests have ranged from kit pens to custom pens, jewelry, wood bows, turkey pot calls, knives and anything else I feel like trying.

To be honest, I've never smoked anything before either, adding more to my newbie status. I'm I'm intrigued by the aroma of pipe tobacco/smoke and with life being so hectic could use a reason to slow down a bit every once in a while.

I want to thank everyone who has continued to the storehouse of info on this forum. It helped immensely withe pipe I just finished.
Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
-Walter Blodget
The Smoking Yeti

Re: Newbie saying hello

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Welcome dear sir!!!

This forum is a great place for you to learn a thing or two 'bout pipe making.

As far as tobacco choices go, don't be deceived into choosing a goopy aromatic as your first tobacco.

Here is a good read for you:

http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills- ... bacco.html

I hope you enjoy your journey in the pipe world- also, walnut is pretty combustible, I don't recommend smoking outta it. Cherry works for a cheap practice material however.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

I second Yeti... welcome.. enjoy your time.. and find a tobacco that you enjoy... there are MANY out there.. and I have my fair share of those I love

enjoy the journey

james
Jthompson1995

Post by Jthompson1995 »

Yeti, thanks for the link. I just ordered some of the frog Morton cellar to start with. Sounds right up my alley (I like bourbon).

Thanks for the notes on the walnut as well. I'll probably make a pipe from it anyway, if just for practice. Should be gorgeous to look at when I'm done, even if it might turn into something resembling a torch with a stem if I ever try to light it. I have a feeling it won't be long before I have to get some briar.
Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
-Walter Blodget
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

Welcome to the forum.

Like you, I don't really smoke, but my ramblings through the world of woodworking eventually brought me to pipe making. Hope to see more of your work here.
- Steve S.