Smithy 3 in1

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
birba

Smithy 3 in1

Post by birba »

so I found someone who wants to trade one of my rifles for a Smithy 1220 xl 3 in 1 lathe/mill/drill from 2005.

Does anybody have an opinion on these kinds of machines? I have never used a mill, but I've seen some neat ways to use one to make stems..

I'm always skeptical regarding X in 1 machines..
Am I dealing with a bad ass thing like this

or crap like this

:wink:

priced at $900, so is my rifle
WCannoy

Re: Smithy 3 in1

Post by WCannoy »

Dude, I've never dealt with the 3 in 1 machines, so I don't know...

But those photo references are funny as shit!!! :lol:
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I'd give you 900 for that coffee/egg machine.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
birba

Post by birba »

andrew

Post by andrew »

Um, I'm no rocket scientist, but I think you'd spend all your time fiddling with the machine. They're for sale in droves up in my neck of the woods. Probably means they're not super useful.
mcgregorpipes

Post by mcgregorpipes »

i want to get one of those coffee maker toasters ;)
my wood lathe is a shopsmith mark v, which means it comes with some other tools that can mount onto the lathe and the bed is hinged so you can stand it up and use as a drill press. it has a wide range of speeds. been using it a few months and would say its a solid wood lathe and much improved over my first little lathe. but because its designed to work as an x in 1 machine it has a very limited tail stock and tool rest.. definate trade off for the versatility. I keep a French wheel in the chuck on the other side of the motor for sanding which is useful. if a guy didn't already have a drill press and a band saw and a sander and a table saw etc it might be great.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

That's a lot of iron, and a lot of surfaces:

http://www.blueridgemachinery.com/machi ... drill.html

Precision is expensive, and slop is additive. You do the math.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
birba

Post by birba »

I just saw that "Brewmaster" has a similar machine, maybe he can tell us more
Skip

Post by Skip »

I have one that I have had about 10 years. HATE IT! Would reccomend it as a good boat anchor. It is like some thing you buy at Harbor Freight. It is of no use for turning tenons but works just fine for bowl turning. I gave up on the mill function because I can not stop the chuck from falling off.
If all you need it for is bowl turning it would be cheaper to buy a small Jett wood lathe.

Skip
Brewmaster

Post by Brewmaster »

i have one of them and it is okay. i think it all depends what you want to do with it. i have had no problems turning or milling brair or stems. i have had some rigidity issues when taking heavy cuts in steel. i don't think it takes too much time to switch from turning to milling. yeah i wish i had a full size lathe and mill but my garage is so small i can't park my car in it so space is a premium. the 3 in 1 doesn't take up much room and what i can't do on my smithy i can do at work. let me know if you have any other questions.
birba

Post by birba »

Thanks guys,
I suppose I will keep looking.