The "1 Wood"

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
bscofield

The "1 Wood"

Post by bscofield »

Named so because it reminded me of a golf club every time I look at it...

What do you all think?

ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

From what I can see it looks to be a very solid, well made pipe. If I were to add anything it would be that I would like to see a taper stem rather than the saddle and a more elegant curve overall. I think the saddle stem constricts the flow of the lines a bit.

Something like this:

But I have to say that I am speaking from my own bias here and that there doesn't seem to be much, if anything wrong with the pipe you presented.

I don't see it as a golf club at all though :)
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Hey, no fair pulling Bo Nordh out on a guy!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tyler
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

to be honest, at the point of calculating the curve I wanted, I couldn't help but think of the practical above the symmetrical. I thought if I curved it too much that stem would be in the mouth and the bowl would be up at the nose... But I was thinking the same thing about the stem shape: I would have preferred the tapered. Unfortunately I'm still at the point of having to buy a stem per pipe... :?
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Hey, I pull Nordh out on myself lol. But, if you prefer, how about Barbi?

ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I read that pipe as a horn. What I was referring to in my comments was a nice design element that I personaly like to see in a horn and the Nordh is the best example of what I was talking about. I wouldn't suggest changing this pipe at all. Just take everyones comments for what they are worth, use the ones you see as helpfull and keep them in mind as you make more pipes.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I was just messin' with you, John. If you are going to look to a fellow for inspiration, then Bo is a good one (and Barbi too!).

:D

Tyler
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

john, don't take my response as defensive... I was just responding to what you thought about the curve to spur on more conversation about it not to defend the way I made the pipe... Keep the comments coming. :D

Incidently, what DO you guys think about symmetry vs. practicality??
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

bscofield wrote: Incidently, what DO you guys think about symmetry vs. practicality??
I am not sure I understand what you mean? Basicly one needs to make a commitment. If you are going to make a symmetrical pipe then by golly you had better do it. If it is going to be asymetrical then make it obvious. In design it is almost always better to overstate rather then understate an idea.

I am not sure how either would interfere with practicality???
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

yeah I think I posted the question wrong:

i.e. bo nordh's pipe that you posted on here. Gorgeous! But if I had that in my mouth, it looks to me like the bowl would be up around my nose or eyes (in height) unless I was not clinching and using my hands... This pipe may not be the best example. But let me re-phrase the question:

Style vs. Practicality

How much do you put style and look over practicality? Or visa-versa....?
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Well, you would really need to have a good balance of both. But, anyone buying a pipe like that to smoke while mowing thier lawn or driving around town is a fool. It is really a hold in your hand and sit to smoke type of design. I would say that he Nordh Ramsey is another example of this type of pipe.

I would say make pipes that you think look nice and suit thier individual purpose. If the pipe you are making is not intended to be held in the mouth then there is no reason to incorporate that into the design.

Whatever you make it should be functional. But, I don't think it needs to serve every function.

Does that make any sense???
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

yeah. I guess you just decide and go for it...