Introduction

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Literaryworkshop

Introduction

Post by Literaryworkshop »

Hello all,

I stumbled on this forum a couple weeks ago and finally got around to setting up a user account. I'm just starting to make some pipes, and I've really enjoyed the process so far. I've been an amateur woodworker for a few years now, but not long ago a friend of mine (an avid pipe smoker) tossed a pre-drilled briar block and a stem on my desk and challenged me to make a pipe.

Here, for example, is my most recent attempt. It's only the 6th pipe I've made so far.

I'm not much of a smoker myself, but it seems to have a pretty "open" draw. I'm not sure I like that. (I also found out I don't respond well to smoking on an empty stomach, but that's a different story.) The shape isn't bad, though, and I like how it fits my hand.

I've only used pre-drilled kits thus far, but I'm working on getting my drill press set up so I can drill the blocks myself. I'm going to practice on some cherry scraps I've had sitting around, and I'll report back here on the progress.

Looking forward to learning a lot here,

Steve S.
- Steve S.
Great Plains Piper

Re: Introduction

Post by Great Plains Piper »

You should put posts like this in the gallery section. Also it would be fun to see your other work thus far to be able to compare this pipe to others you've made.

I hesitate to make any criticism since I myself am a fledgling pipe maker but hopefully you are enjoying the craft!
Thus o’er my pipe, in contemplation
Of such things, I can constantly
Indulge in fruitful meditation
And so, puffing contentedly,
On land, on sea, at home, abroad,
I smoke my pipe and worship God.

-Johann Sebastian Bach