Logan 820...

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
PipesByDesign

Logan 820...

Post by PipesByDesign »

Had to drive a total of 6 hours, but I just brought home a Logan 820. It's perfect. Virtually no wear on the ways, very clean, etc. The guy's shop was one of those ones you dream about having if money wasn't an issue. Huge. Massive machines lined up with every kind of tool available neatly within arm's reach. He had a wall that was full of drawers that was essentially his personal hardware store. And it was super clean. Buying tools from a shop like that makes you feel good because you know that machines are well taken care of, and thoroughly gone over and repaired.

This Logan was one of several he's owned, and he said it was the best one he's seen condition-wise. He replaced some bushings here and there, but otherwise it's all there and super smooth.

I think he may have thrown up a little in his mouth when I told him I'd be using it for pipemaking... i.e. wood shavings and dust. So he gave me some good directions on detail cleaning it.

Anyway, it's still in the truck waiting for me to unload and set up tonight. I'll post pics.

It was a little more money than I would have liked to spend, but the best thing about this is that it's plug and play. I don't need to do anything to it to get it "just right." At this point in my life I don't need a project. I need a tool. And I've got it.

Quite happy.
Sasquatch

Re: Logan 820...

Post by Sasquatch »

Sweet. That's a good feeling for sure.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Congrats! I told you it was probably worth the drive. You'll love that 5C collet set-up for stem and extension work. Do post some pics.
Chas.
PipesByDesign

Post by PipesByDesign »

I took a shot of the gears because I was impressed with how perfect and clean they were. This thing is heavy heavy heavy. I have no idea how I single-handedly unloaded it from my truck, moved it 15 feet to where it is now, and put it back together (had taken legs off)... and managed to not hurt myself. I closed my eyes...opened them, and it was all done. Haha... ugh, let's just say that thing is not moving any time soon.

Charl

Post by Charl »

Wow, looking good! Congrats.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Nice. It appears to have been well cared for. The serial number is on the right end, stamped on the flat part of the front way. Contact Logan and they can tell you when it was made if you are interested. Hopefully the guy you bought it from showed you all the spots to lube it. Mobil Vactra way lube is good for the cups on all the bronze bushings (put some in a squirt can). Or use whatever the previous owner has been using. For the ways and the carriage shaft, consider a dry lube like molybdenum disulphide to keep from making a gunky mess with the wood chips/dust. Rigging up a wide mouth attachment to a vac system to catch a lot of it at the headstock is also a good idea. There is a very active Logan group on Yahoo (moderated by Scott Logan) if you have any issues.
Have fun with it.
Chas.
PS: did the guy tell you why he was selling it?
PipesByDesign

Post by PipesByDesign »

I'm buying the logan manual so I'll use that for lube points and such.

As for why he was selling, I mentioned he had a dream shop and I meant it. He had a beautiful LeBlonde that he had restored that was so smooth it was like machining silk, and he had a Monarch that wasn't as pretty but was equally perfect mechanically. He had two mills, and a cadre of other well maintained tools. In short he bought this one to play with for a while then sell.