Why is it...............

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
DMI

Why is it...............

Post by DMI »

That when you have no spare cash all the decent lathes turn up.

Looked on Gumtree today and there are six decent sized lathes all under a grand and all in Northern Ireland.
:filth-n-foul: :filth-n-foul: :filth-n-foul: :filth-n-foul: :filth-n-foul: :filth-n-foul:
archaggelosmichail

Re: Why is it...............

Post by archaggelosmichail »

Happens all the time....

Now it's available 5km from my workshop a 500lt 7,5hp compressor for 400euros and I'm not even close to that.... :filth-n-foul:
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

That is what credit cards are for, sometimes it is worth borrowing the money for a really good investment.
archaggelosmichail

Post by archaggelosmichail »

Are you kidding me? I live in Greece, my credit debts are past beyond my limit... :broke: :mrgreen:
DMI

Post by DMI »

Never had a credit card and really don't want one, I have enough problems as it is.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Credit cards are the devil. Investments that require an exorbitant return rate (investment with a credit card) should be avoided unless paid off VERY quickly.
If you are serious enough to be racking up credit card debt, it would be better to talk with your bank about a business loan. Going into debt for a hobby makes about zero sense.

That's my soap box, sorry, I'm just a tad anti-debt (unless its part of a well vetted business plan).
Jos

Post by Jos »

As for me, it's all quite clear:
I'm always short of money.
So, even if a really nice piece of tooling turns up right next door ... :banghead:

Jens
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

I somehow had the necessary change on hand when a lathe showed up for sale at the local hardware store. Miracles happen sometimes :D
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:Miracles happen sometimes :D
I managed to slide David his refund from Yazid, and I'll deal with Yazid to settle up in a few months.

I figured he could use the money and hopefully some day get closer to one of them lathes.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

My husband bank rolls my operation......I just have to catch him in a good mood. If we weren't going to get another 8-12 inches of snow tomorrow night I would be ordering my Taig this week. As we sit now....maybe sometime towards the middle of next month as he probably won't be able to get back to work for about two weeks or so. Oh, well....what's a girl to do??
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Massis

Post by Massis »

andrew wrote:Credit cards are the devil. Investments that require an exorbitant return rate (investment with a credit card) should be avoided unless paid off VERY quickly.
If you are serious enough to be racking up credit card debt, it would be better to talk with your bank about a business loan. Going into debt for a hobby makes about zero sense.

That's my soap box, sorry, I'm just a tad anti-debt (unless its part of a well vetted business plan).
Somewhat off-topic but still: Credit cards are only evil if you let them be.

I've had a VISA since I was 19 orso, but I ALWAYS pay my expenses at the end of the month. Heck, that payment is even an automatic one.

Taking that into account, I never pay any intrests on my VISA, so it's just a really useful tool to make big purchases without having to swap around money on my accounts.
Furthermore a VISA provides quite a bit of extra protection when buying...

In the other case, where you plan on letting you debts rack up: bad idea indeed. Credit cards charge up to 14% intrest on the money you loan from them!
Charl

Post by Charl »

Should try living in SA: the country with the most expensive banking fees in the world.