Trying to make a billard.

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
uniquebriar

Trying to make a billard.

Post by uniquebriar »

Here is a billard pipe with a stock stem. Again any critique would be welcomed.
Hand Crafted Pipes
http://uniquebriar.com
andrew

Re: Trying to make a billard.

Post by andrew »

Shank would need to be at least 50% thicker (maybe more). The wood plus acrylic accent is a bit distracting. I would stick with the acrylic if you like the green. The plateaux in green looks cool. Reminds me of moss.

I'm guessing your shank diameter is tied to your premold stem diameter, so the only real way to make this work would be a hand cut stem.

The bowl walls should be tapering "in" just a bit near the top, the walls on this are pretty vertical before a very rounded bottom starts. This would be helped by a larger shank too.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Trying to make "a billiard" and designing it with 1/2" thick walls and a plateau top just kicks it right out of "ordinary billiard" territory.

Roughly speaking, that's a billiard, because it has basically vertical walls.

If you want to practice "ordinary" draw up a pipe where the height of the bowl is about the same as the shank lenght, both measured from where they meet. Once you have this stummel mostly shaped, figure out a stem that is about the same lenght overall as the stummel. Then we can critique it as a billiard.

To me, the gigantic pot/billiard/poker here is not really critiqueable as a billiard. I can tell you what's technically better or worse on the pipe (and I think objectively judged the bocote ring doesn't go with the green highlights).
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
uniquebriar

Post by uniquebriar »

Sasquatch wrote:Trying to make "a billiard" and designing it with 1/2" thick walls and a plateau top just kicks it right out of "ordinary billiard" territory.

Roughly speaking, that's a billiard, because it has basically vertical walls.

If you want to practice "ordinary" draw up a pipe where the height of the bowl is about the same as the shank lenght, both measured from where they meet. Once you have this stummel mostly shaped, figure out a stem that is about the same lenght overall as the stummel. Then we can critique it as a billiard.

To me, the gigantic pot/billiard/poker here is not really critiqueable as a billiard. I can tell you what's technically better or worse on the pipe (and I think objectively judged the bocote ring doesn't go with the green highlights).

Thanks for the tips so the shank needs to be 2 inches long 15mm and the height of the bowl 2 inches tall and how about the bowl thickness 1/4 thick?
Hand Crafted Pipes
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

1/4" is great - there's no set rule here, what a guy is shooting for is building a pipe that looks balanced, well constructed, well proportioned. Very roughly speaking, if we assume 1/4" of wall, and 3/4" of chamber, adding that on to the end of a 2" shank is going to give us a total stummel length of 3 1/4" and a total pipe length of 6.5" which is pretty long. So I'd chop that shank down to maybe 1.5" total, look for a bowl about 1.5" taller than the top of the shank, and the whole thing being about 5 1/2" long. Put about 3 degrees of cant forward on the entire bowl.

Now, this is a recipe for size, but there's still all kinds of ways to shape the pipe.

Here's a great example of the species:
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/d ... _id=113485

Once you can make that pipe, once the lines start to make sense, when you go to cut another shape, ANY other shape, you'll be able to put a grace and a balance into it. There's so many little touches of goodness on these shapes they really train a guy.
uniquebriar

Post by uniquebriar »

Sasquatch wrote:1/4" is great - there's no set rule here, what a guy is shooting for is building a pipe that looks balanced, well constructed, well proportioned. Very roughly speaking, if we assume 1/4" of wall, and 3/4" of chamber, adding that on to the end of a 2" shank is going to give us a total stummel length of 3 1/4" and a total pipe length of 6.5" which is pretty long. So I'd chop that shank down to maybe 1.5" total, look for a bowl about 1.5" taller than the top of the shank, and the whole thing being about 5 1/2" long. Put about 3 degrees of cant forward on the entire bowl.

Now, this is a recipe for size, but there's still all kinds of ways to shape the pipe.

Here's a great example of the species:
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/d ... _id=113485

Once you can make that pipe, once the lines start to make sense, when you go to cut another shape, ANY other shape, you'll be able to put a grace and a balance into it. There's so many little touches of goodness on these shapes they really train a guy.
Thanks for the help SAS i did post this pipe in this forum looking for your help. BTW this briar pipe is made from A CUT ABOVE BRIAR i had order a sack of 288 PLS blocks
But 16 blocks ran missing during the shipment.
Hand Crafted Pipes
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

288? Holy crap.
uniquebriar

Post by uniquebriar »

Sasquatch wrote:288? Holy crap.
Yep 288 Blocks from Makis i also got around 200 plateau blocks from Sam on the bay since last year and i also got my foredom kit 5240 today. with other FD accessory. :D
Hand Crafted Pipes