Pipe Socks (Anyone know a good seamstress?)

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
WCannoy

Pipe Socks (Anyone know a good seamstress?)

Post by WCannoy »

Ok, so I've been selling pipes again for a couple of months now, and shipping them out wrapped up in tissue paper, then bubble wrap, and placed in a plain white box... Not very professional, but all I had...

Well, now that I've got all of the basics of rebuilding the workshop out of the way, I've recently been concentrating on revivng the pipe sock making process to round off the whole package. I used to make velvet draw-string pipe bags/socks for each pipe, but I've decided that this time I want to make white vinyl socks with a zipper.

Between last night and this morning, I managed to stumble through the prototype design:

Looks pretty good, right???

Well, there are still a few rough spots that need to be refined, in the bag as well as the process. I'm having a really difficult time with the zipper, at the ends, I don't know what to do with them... and it is taking a couple of hours just to make one bag, which is much more time than I need to spend on each of these.

Question is, does anyone know a good seamstress whose brain I could pick? Maybe you have someone in the family? Mabe I should just head down to the local fabrics store and strike up a conversation with the first little white-haired lady I see?

Any thoughts...?
WCannoy

Re: Pipe Socks (Anyone know a good seamstress?)

Post by WCannoy »

Oh... and yes, that is the PITH cavalier in the photos... and yes, this bag will come with it.
rijks

Post by rijks »

Very nice Socks ! "Simple et élégant".

Best regards,
Patrick Rijks
DMI

Post by DMI »

Are they open or closed end zips?
Do you have a zip foot for your machine?
What type of needle are you using?
What type of thread?

Looking at the pics your stitches are showing an uneven tension so you may need to check your thread and needle size and then the lower tension.

I'd make this as two separate bags and join the together with the zip, the pattern would be one piece and look a bit like a butterfly as I would add a 'wall' on the fold side. The closed end of the zip goes behind the wall adding a little stiffness, the wall can also be used to fix a wrist loop.

David.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

I know a few people. Let me ask around and I'll get back to you.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

DMI wrote:Are they open or closed end zips?
I have no clue what you are talking about...
Do you have a zip foot for your machine?
No, but I've seen them on YouTube and I think I might need to buy one along with a "walking" foot
What type of needle are you using?
Dritz Universal 16 (100)... whatever that means
What type of thread?
Coats & Clark Extra Stong nylon upholstery
Looking at the pics your stitches are showing an uneven tension so you may need to check your thread and needle size and then the lower tension.
Ok, will do...
I'd make this as two separate bags and join the together with the zip, the pattern would be one piece and look a bit like a butterfly as I would add a 'wall' on the fold side. The closed end of the zip goes behind the wall adding a little stiffness, the wall can also be used to fix a wrist loop.
Well, now you've just lost me! :banghead:
DMI

Post by DMI »

Somewhere on the thread it should have a size, this needs to match your needle size.

16/100 is ok but you need to get either leather needles or (second best) denim needles. Normal needles are designed to push the threads apart leather ones cut a hole denim are in-between.

If the zip undoes to two pieces it is open ended, jacket,coat etc. If it is joined it is closed, trousers, pockets etc.

A zip foot is not essential it just makes life easier, a walking foot is a far as I know a type of sewing machine designed for heavier leather such a saddles, I have used one quite a bit and they are wonderful things.

Below is an off the shelf pipe bag, now do you see the flutterby?

Make the liner and put it to one side, make up the outer, insert the liner and glue at the top edges, fold the edges of the outer inwards to cover the edge of the liner, bearing in mind that the fold over will also be used to secure the zip.

With the zip done up position it as required, glue in place, fold the edge over and glue it.

You should end up with outer-liner-zip-outer, all held by one row of stitching.

Once all the glue is dry undo the zip and machine.

David.
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

That's alot of work, extra steps, and in the case of a longer zipper for the butterfly design, more expensive...

These are not pipe bags that I'm selling on their own, these are the ones that will come free with each pipe like these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0802392965

I just wanted something a little classier that the simple cloth drawstring bag. I see what you're takling about, but that's just too much for what I need to accomplish!
DMI

Post by DMI »

Gimme 24 hours and I'll come up with a pattern for you, this is something I'm used to doing.

What length zips do you have?

David.
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

DMI wrote:Gimme 24 hours and I'll come up with a pattern for you, this is something I'm used to doing.
Oh no, no, no... Thanks, but no need for all that! :D

I like the design that I have, and I'm sure with practice that I will get faster and more efficient at making them... All I really need is that lightbulb moment to tidy up the ends of the zipper
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

When I read that you were using vinyl for your socks I was a little put off by that idea, but that's a pretty awesome little pipe sock! Do you have a stamp specifically for the socks? Its a very professional look and I'm sure you will come up with a way to streamline the process.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

My girlfriend's mother is a talented seamstress and has agreed to help if she can.

Sent you a PM with her e-mail address.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Growley

Post by Growley »

For me, the zipper (even if it's plastic) would make me a bit nervous. I'd be afraid that somehow it could possibly scratch the pipes. Very cool looking bag though. I wonder if a magnetic close would be a good idea?
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

Growley wrote:For me, the zipper (even if it's plastic) would make me a bit nervous. I'd be afraid that somehow it could possibly scratch the pipes. Very cool looking bag though. I wonder if a magnetic close would be a good idea?
The zippers are plastic, and I did do a scratch test on one of my shop pipes. It took a surprisingly large amount of deliberate pressure (I was "sawing" at it) to scuff the wax, and you really have to be trying if you want to make a mark in the surface of the briar with the zipper!

I ruled out the magnetic closures during my shopping trip of discovery. Although the cost per bag would have been about the same as zippers, I didn't care for the idea that, with just one button, there's still more than enough space for the stem and shank of the pipe to slip out the opening of the bag. Of course, I could make a little flappy thing that folds over the top, and snaps in front, but that would be more material, more time, more complicated, and the big metal prongs that secure the back of the snap would be on the inside of the bag, possible rubbing against the pipe and scratching it all up...
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

BTW, after looking through a few of my GF's handbags and clutch-purses, I believe I have resolved the problem of what to do with the zipper ends. Now I just need to learn to work faster on the sewing machine!
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

fuchi_jeg wrote:When I read that you were using vinyl for your socks I was a little put off by that idea, but that's a pretty awesome little pipe sock! Do you have a stamp specifically for the socks? Its a very professional look and I'm sure you will come up with a way to streamline the process.
Thanks! Yes I do have a stamp just for the socks. It's much too large to use on a pipe!
Sawdust

Post by Sawdust »

Hi Walt,
This is kind of an old post and it sounds like you have things pretty well under control, but if you are still looking for input I would be happy to help.

Jim