Lathe Out Of Line

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
DMI

Lathe Out Of Line

Post by DMI »

I've just been making a little extension and realised that my lathe in turning out of true, I checked the alignment and it appears the chuck/headstock is a bit out.

My first thought was the tailstock and the drilling was out but that checked ok, using two dead centres it became apparent that it was the chuck.

Any suggestions on a solution.

David.
caskwith

Re: Lathe Out Of Line

Post by caskwith »

Wood lathe or metal lathe?
DMI

Post by DMI »

Taig C3.

In the morning I'm going to stick my 4 jaw on and see if it does the same, if not then I'll check the jaws and worms themselves incase they have worn, then strip the head and check the bushes/bearings although I have no idea what to look out for.

David.
DMI

Post by DMI »

It's the chuck, put the 4 jaw on and no problem, switch back and it's off centre.

I suppose three years out of a piece of Chinese junk isn't bad going, I just wish I knew back then what I know now.

David.
Alden

Post by Alden »

My headstock went suddenly out of whack a few days ago. For me it was a bad spindle bearing. If I tried to drill a 4mm hole it would turn itself into a 6 mm hole with all the wobble in the spindle.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Glad to hear you got it sorted, time for a new chuck!
DMI

Post by DMI »

Time for a new effing lathe!!!!!!!

Don't get me wrong, it has served me well despite the abuse it has taken. It turned out to be the absolute basic model with plastic gears, abs mountings/bearings and a drive belt that slipped if you got oil on it.

It has turned thousands of stems, steel, brass, ali all sorts of wood for tampers and I even tried to turn small pipes on it.

I need to spend some time getting 'The Beast' up and running at least I know that it will be up to the job.

David