River Reed for the stummel?

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
badger685

River Reed for the stummel?

Post by badger685 »

I know there has been some discussion regarding bamboo and its use in shank material. I've also read somewhere (and I don't remember exactly where) that bamboo has also been used for the stummel. In this case it is the rhizome that is used for carving the stummel. However does anybody know about the use of river reed rhizome for the stummel since its structure is similar, if not identical to bamboo rhizome? Any thoughts?
El Badger

"Pipe-smokers spend so much time cleaning, filling and fooling with their pipes, they don't have time to get into mischief." - Bill Vaughan
Charl

Re: River Reed for the stummel?

Post by Charl »

Interesting! I didn't know that the rhizomes are similar. Any photos?
badger685

Post by badger685 »

This is one photo I found on the web. I have some in my yard that differs only in size. But where I am in California this is plenty available. I'll dig it up and dry it out for a year or so if it works.
El Badger

"Pipe-smokers spend so much time cleaning, filling and fooling with their pipes, they don't have time to get into mischief." - Bill Vaughan
DMI

Post by DMI »

Reed tubers are very fibrous and break down when boiled or roast for cooking, you also need to make sure it is a non toxic variety, like 'shrooms they come in several types.

David.