Lathe price check...

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
PipesByDesign

Lathe price check...

Post by PipesByDesign »

South Bend 9A, with the quick change gear box (obviously not important to pipemaking per se, but for what it's worth...). Has a fair amount of tooling, including steady-rest, some ball turning tool holder, a jacobs chuck, etc. It's mounted on its original metal cabinet.

The color is some grungy green which makes me think it was potentially a government/military purchase at on point.

The guy has had it listed on CL for a while. He's asking $1500 for it. I offered $1000. It's about three hours away from me. He's not budging on price right now, but I told him whenever he changes his mind to give me a call. He said he'll try his luck for a while yet, but if he comes down on price I'll be the first he'll contact.

So... I think $1500 is way too much. I'm squirmy at $1000, but I've been looking for a long time for this exact model. I don't want to let my stupid sentimentalism get the better of my budget...

...should I pass? or persist?

Thanks.

Jonathan
Sasquatch

Re: Lathe price check...

Post by Sasquatch »

There was a really nice looking Soutbend 9 near here, not the quick change one, but obviously in good shape, listed for 1400 bucks, with a couple chucks. It went pretty fast. Lasted 2 days on Kijiji.

I think 1000 ish is probably fine if it's in good used condition.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

Read my comment on the rev's post about the lathe he's looking at
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
the rev

Post by the rev »

I have been looking for lathes for two months and mine is the first one of its size. The others were smaller... and cost the same amount. Maybe in your part of the world there are tons of cheap lathes laying around but not in LA

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
the rev

Post by the rev »

hmmmm rhode Island, how is that different than what I said? I have been looking for two months in all of the greater los angeles area

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
PipesByDesign

Post by PipesByDesign »

Availability goes in waves. I'm in central IL so I just search within a three hour radius. I passed up on some SB 10 heavy lathes, but when I got a bit of remorse and went back to ask more questions and maybe buy they were gone. They were for roughly the same price. Like this one I haven't actually looked at one in person... just done some email correspondence. I like to get a feel for negotiability on price before driving a full day just to take a look.

Thankfully I don't have to rush anything. I don't want to pay what the guy is asking. I only have to wait until he breaks.

They do come along semi-often enough that I feel confident in passing this up unless I spend what I want.