Clamping an unusual angle...

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Duane

Re: Clamping an unusual angle...

Post by Duane »

WCannoy wrote:
pipeguy wrote:Walt, What r u gluing in place???? more pics

It's a paneled freehand. It's gonna get mostly blasted...
The thing that I have a hard time with about a lot of the pipes I see in this forum is…how can anyone in their right mind take a match to such beautiful pieces of art. It would be like using Van Gogh’s Starry Night…or…Da Vinci’s Mona Lisa for cigarette paper! If I had a pipe like that, or many of the others I’ve seen, I’d never smoke it and it would be on a special table surrounded in a glass bubble so I could just look at it each day!
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

Duane wrote:The thing that I have a hard time with about a lot of the pipes I see in this forum is…how can anyone in their right mind take a match to such beautiful pieces of art. It would be like using Van Gogh’s Starry Night…or…Da Vinci’s Mona Lisa for cigarette paper! If I had a pipe like that, or many of the others I’ve seen, I’d never smoke it and it would be on a special table surrounded in a glass bubble so I could just look at it each day!
There are a few pipes that I made back in the day which, as far as I know, were never smoked, and it kinda makes me a little sad. I kinda feel like the pipe is not truly finished or complete until it is being enjoyed. To me, smoking a pipe for the first time is like hanging that Mona Lisa or Starry Night on the wall to be seen. For the pipe to remain unsmoked is like hiding those paintings in a warehouse...
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

WCannoy wrote:
Duane wrote:The thing that I have a hard time with about a lot of the pipes I see in this forum is…how can anyone in their right mind take a match to such beautiful pieces of art. It would be like using Van Gogh’s Starry Night…or…Da Vinci’s Mona Lisa for cigarette paper! If I had a pipe like that, or many of the others I’ve seen, I’d never smoke it and it would be on a special table surrounded in a glass bubble so I could just look at it each day!
There are a few pipes that I made back in the day which, as far as I know, were never smoked, and it kinda makes me a little sad. I kinda feel like the pipe is not truly finished or complete until it is being enjoyed. To me, smoking a pipe for the first time is like hanging that Mona Lisa or Starry Night on the wall to be seen. For the pipe to remain unsmoked is like hiding those paintings in a warehouse...
Agree 10000%. The internal engineering is part of the art.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Duane

Post by Duane »

Yeah...I think you are probably right....I'm just not used to "functional" art!

I'm learning a lot at this site....how to use my computer to download pictures, how to understand functional art, and how to make pipes. hahaha! :)

Duane
Last edited by Duane on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
the rev

Post by the rev »

My slogan is "functional art for pipe lovers"

:)

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

the rev wrote:My slogan is "functional art for pipe lovers"

:)

rev
Still waiting to see that stamped on a pipe, there Rev!
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
the rev

Post by the rev »

I said Saturday brother

I really hope it is Saturday too, I need the money :)

rev

geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

Good to see you back at making pipes Walt...We have never met but I remember enjoying photos of your work some ten years ago and always admire a maker with the balls to follow his own path
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

geigerpipes wrote:Good to see you back at making pipes Walt...We have never met but I remember enjoying photos of your work some ten years ago and always admire a maker with the balls to follow his own path
Thanks Love! It's good to be back!
I have always been a fan of your work as well! Perhaps we will get a chance to share a bowl face to tface someday...
BTW, didn't you have a circus wagon? What happed to it?
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

For those of you keeping track, here's the result of my white-trash clamping rig! :lol:

http://waltcannoy.com/?page_id=254
the rev

Post by the rev »

wow!!!

rev

The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Man, that blast is totally strange- in a good way!

Is it a Cav? Or is that not a well on the bottom?
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

WCannoy wrote:
geigerpipes wrote:Good to see you back at making pipes Walt...We have never met but I remember enjoying photos of your work some ten years ago and always admire a maker with the balls to follow his own path
Thanks Love! It's good to be back!
I have always been a fan of your work as well! Perhaps we will get a chance to share a bowl face to tface someday...
BTW, didn't you have a circus wagon? What happed to it?
Perhaps we will ;) Still have the wagon but we out grew it workshopwise a long time ago once i started making pipes together with Sara and getting mashined up..right now i've been trying to rebuild it into a guest house but it is still far from complete
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:Man, that blast is totally strange- in a good way!

Is it a Cav? Or is that not a well on the bottom?
Oh man, Yeti, I only wish the photos could show what the blast really looks like in person. I feel like the essence of the texture is really lost in the pics. This blast has quickly become my favorite of all pipe finishes ever!

This particular pipe is not a cav. Just a bent with normal bent engineering and the shank extended down to make a foot. :D
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

geigerpipes wrote:Perhaps we will ;) Still have the wagon but we out grew it workshopwise a long time ago once i started making pipes together with Sara and getting mashined up..right now i've been trying to rebuild it into a guest house but it is still far from complete
That wagon was the coolest thing I've ever seen! I would have painted it up and hired someone to pull me around in it! :lol:
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

WCannoy wrote:

I just discovered that one of my old pipes has gone unfinished (in the context of this conversation)...
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that- ... ng-a-pipe/ Aout the 7th paragraph down...

I'm so sad for that pipe which has not yet realised its purpose...