Moldable sanding

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Blueb3

Moldable sanding

Post by Blueb3 »

Saw this article, and thought of this forum.

http://gizmodo.com/5975163/moldable-san ... y-abrasion

Moldable Sanding Blocks Are the Perfect Shape For Any Abrasion

Sanding blocks are fantastic labor-savers, but if you're sanding ornate carvings, the sandpaper typically has to mold to your fingertips. Taking the idea of a malleable foam sanding block to the next level, these Sandables are made from a moldable material so they can be reshaped to conform to any angle, curve, or random shape.

All it takes is three minutes in the microwave, or a little warmth from a heat gun, to soften them up so they can be molded into whatever shape you need to sand. Once cooled, they become stiff and permanently hold their shape so they can be used for even the most rigorous tasks.

You could then fit your paper over the molded shape, like a regular sanding block. But the block materials also come in three grits for different levels of finish—so you could just sand with the block itself. No telling how long it'd last before it got gummed up or lost its shape, though.

There's no word on when Quirky will be putting them into production, or how much they'll cost.
taharris

Re: Moldable sanding

Post by taharris »

That's a really cool idea.

I hope that theory and reality meet up on this one.

Todd
FredS

Post by FredS »

I use wine bottle corks. File/sand then to whatever shape you need. Good for finishing bits.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

FredS wrote:I use wine bottle corks. File/sand then to whatever shape you need. Good for finishing bits.
Good idea. Thanks for the tip.