Burnt Chimney

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Cantó

Burnt Chimney

Post by Cantó »

My 15th pipe and 3 months since I made my first pipe. That's a magic number.

I decided to do a small and very light pipe with low capacity for smoking it when i just want to smoke short time or I want to try more than one tobacco. So there’s no needing for a high capacity pipe.

I stained it to look like a fire to play with the broken/burnt looking top.

I planned to make it for myself but I finally gave it to my neighbour and friend.

Hope you like it. Comments and advices are very welcome.

My pipe maker apprentice blog:

http://www.cantopipes.com
AlfaDog

Re: Burnt Chimney

Post by AlfaDog »

Extremely nice. How do I get to be your friend and neighbor?
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

The fit, finish, and symmetry look great. I would say however that the proportions could be adjusted to be more pleasing to the eye. Is the bowl drilled perpendicular to the draft hole? This pipe has the illusion that the bowl tilts backwards. The plateau on top amplifies the illusion. Ideally straight pipes should be drilled with a bowl canted forward no less than 2 degrees.

For number 15 in 3 months that is amazing work. I keep wondering how I was producing such crappy pipes for so long. A lot of you newbies are making great stuff after your first few pipes. Keep up the great work.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Pretty impressive for #15. I agree with Ocelot that the bowl appears to be at a right angle to the shank which gives the illusion that he describes. I also prefer a softer transition between the shank and bowl. When it's too sharp, it looks contrived to me. Still, it's very good for #15. Nice finish and use of grain.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Charl

Post by Charl »

Just as an aside: great photos!