Unbalanced DGE Nosewarmer

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
dgerwin11

Unbalanced DGE Nosewarmer

Post by dgerwin11 »

It is very evident that I did not have the stummel squared up right when I drilled the mortise. I had made other pipes from this same batch of briar and had rave reviews on the briar and the drilling. Shaping not so much. So I decided to work on my shaping and see how good this briar is. I also emulated my Canadian hero and drilled it 11/64". So far so good. The dark splotch on the rim is bark. Please critique. Truthfully. Thank you.ImageImageImageImage
The Smoking Yeti

Re: Unbalanced DGE Nosewarmer

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Hmm, I feel like this pipe has about 1/8" too much on all sides. If you took it down quite a bit methinks it'd help big-time with the overall look. As is, it's just what you said- unbalanced.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

To start off, you're doing fine work for where you are in the process. You've asked for honest feedback a couple of times, and that's wise. I just don't want you to think that you aren't doing well.

To be candid, the shank being off to the side is the least of your worries; you know what the problem was and you can (I assume) correct it next time. The bigger issues deal with proportion, and this is a much more difficult perception to cultivate. Here goes...The size of the bowl requires a larger shank - either longer or fatter or (probably) both. The stem is also too short for the height of the bowl. The bend in the stem is too abrupt. The bit needs to be thinned out significantly, and the button is too clunky (almost as bad as one of Sas's... yikes!).

In my opinion (and you'll undoubtedly hear how valuable that is below ;) ) the stem and especially the button will be some of the last things to come together for you. That's partly just because how one shapes a button is very subjective. You'll sort of ease into a style that you like, and some people will like it while others won't. I'm saying this to encourage you to focus on stummel shaping before focusing too much on the stem. Stem work is tedious enough at first, so no need to burn yourself out on it.

Keep at it!
dgerwin11

Post by dgerwin11 »

Since I am making primarily nosewarmers, I am not sure how to incorporate the normal standards of proportion. If I was doing billiards, let's say, the proportions are clearcut. Suggestions are always welcomed. As s y noted, I do believe some thinning down would improve the lines. Maybe the proportions too. My thinking in posting it as it is, was that I could always take more off if suggested, putting back on, not so much. Also, for now I am using pre-molded stems. That limits my choices as to size. My thinking is to get one procedure down and then work on the next step.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Based on what you said about nosewarmers (and I did forget you were concentrating on those) the shank should be considerably more stout. It doesn't quite look like a NW; it's like a too-heavy bowl.

Most of the time with NW's a saddle stem is going to make more sense simply because you don't have the length necessary to bring a taper to a comfortable termination. Granted... I already said not to worry too much about stems for right now. I'm just giving Sas and Chris (and now Tyler) something to shoot at. :)
dgerwin11

Post by dgerwin11 »

I tried to incorporate these comments when I reworked this pipe. How well did I follow your ideas? I have lots of friends who tell me I am absolutely great at this. I hope for honesty from you guys. I just noticed that I did not have the stem snugged up to the shank when I took these pics. There is no gap, really.ImageImageImageImage
Cory

Post by Cory »

Better. But I would do the following:

1. Don't listen to Mr. Markle or Sas.

2. Take more off the 'chin'. It is pretty chunky - try to get a smooth flowing curve.
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis