Pipe #3

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
nboaldin

Pipe #3

Post by nboaldin »

Well, attempt #3 didn't go as planned. My plan was to make a straight pipe kit feel like a brandy with a slight bend. It turned in to whatever is pictured below, because I made a lot of mistakes along the way. I'm bummed about my stem work. It feels short and the button feels small, but the practice I got was worth it. Critiques and recommendations for my next pipes are welcome. I am ordering briar blocks this time, so I can try my hand at actual pipe making (drilling, ect.) Thanks for your help!

Leus

Re: Pipe #3

Post by Leus »

The stem shape seems unfinished, like you rushed to get it polished. I think my best advice would be not to hurry, and don't be too hard on yourself.
nboaldin

Post by nboaldin »

Thanks, Leus. You are completely right. Sometimes I get so excited about the finished product that I don't fully conceptualize what I am doing. Very helpful.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Defenitely don't stress too much about stem work- as Leus said, just take time, study the stem work of high end makers, and understand perfecting stems takes a LOT of practice and a LOT of kinda goofy stems.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
taharris

Post by taharris »

You asked for a critique of this pipe, so with the intent of giving you some honest feed back I have the following.

I think you made a good start on this pipe but, frankly, you stopped way too soon.

The pipe has no definitive shape. Is it a Pot? A Billiard? Something in between?

My recommendation is that you develop a definitive design and draw that design on the block before you start carving.
Then, stick to that design unless you make a mistake or run into a flaw that requires a design change.

I also recommend that you pick a well defined, traditional shape to start out with. A Billiard is a good choice.

Take this pipe back to the sander and remove a lot more material to reveal the shape that is hidden.

I suggest this:

Keep cracking at it. A lot of beginner pipes have the same kinds of issues. And part of becoming a pipe maker is training your eye to see what a good pipe looks like.

Todd
nboaldin

Post by nboaldin »

Thanks, Yeti and Todd for taking the time for input and critique. It is very helpful. I think I do need to be more tactical about what I am doing. I feel like there is so much to learn! If either of you know where I can find schematics for certain traditional shapes, I would love it. I've searched the board and haven't found but a few. Again, many thanks!