new stamp

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
cmueller

new stamp

Post by cmueller »

So I received my stamp from Buckeye engraving and it looks really good but I am worried i may have created a design that is very hard to apply. The stamp is 14mm long and 8mm high. I tried applying the stamp by hand with little success. I then used the drill press which helped a lot but I still managed to F it up. Long story short, I stamped 5 pipes and messed up 2 that will now have to be refinished. Is this normal or should I change my logo to make it easier to apply. thanks.

RadDavis

Re: new stamp

Post by RadDavis »

That seems pretty large for a pipe stamp. The larger the stamp the more difficult it is to apply.

Rad
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I fear you are going to have a horrible time getting the "mu" to show up with much distinction.

It's good looking though!
the rev

Post by the rev »

I was going to go with a 10 mm stamp and Paul told me that was way too big and suggested 3-4mm

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I think most people get it wrong when they order their first stamp, guess it's just one of those thing we learn as we go along. My first stamp is difficult to apply especially on certain shapes. I use it when I can but I quickly ordered a more simple second stamp which is much easier to use on pencil and very rounded shanks.

Most difficulty I had was when I made some pipes for another company and had to use their stamp, it was large with lots of wide flat spots that made doing it by hand almost impossible. I solved the problem by heating the stamp over a blowtorch, not enough to ruin the temper but enough that it softened the briar on contact and made a good impression.
cmueller

Post by cmueller »

Thanks guys, I will definitely be ordering a simplified version of the one I initially posted.