DIY French Wheel

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Cory

DIY French Wheel

Post by Cory »

Any problems with making a french wheel out of wood and using a Home Depot buffing arbor to be mounted on a lathe?
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
caskwith

Re: DIY French Wheel

Post by caskwith »

Nope, it works. I just never got on with the french wheel.
SammyT

DIY French Wheel

Post by SammyT »

I made a French wheel with the 6inch faceplate for my wood lathe. I just mounted a piece of pine to it and turned it how I wanted it. If I need to change the paper, I just loosen the screws, and tighten them when done. It works really well but I think it would be better if there were some sort of padding between the paper and the wood. I don't think I will use it very much now that I have my new sanding setup. It's a 5inch motor mounted disc setup using abranet discs. It's perfect for me.

-Sam
Cory

Post by Cory »

caskwith wrote:Nope, it works. I just never got on with the french wheel.
What do you use for shaping post-lathe?
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Cory wrote:
caskwith wrote:Nope, it works. I just never got on with the french wheel.
What do you use for shaping post-lathe?

Mostly a variety of flat/foam faced sanding discs with velcro interfaces. Never found too much need for a curved disc but I do have some that will fit the bill if needed but that is rare. With the french wheel i could never get the paper to hold right and it always bounced on the edges, pissed me off and caused too much damage if you werent careful.
Leus

Post by Leus »

caskwith wrote:Mostly a variety of flat/foam faced sanding discs with velcro interfaces. Never found too much need for a curved disc but I do have some that will fit the bill if needed but that is rare. With the french wheel i could never get the paper to hold right and it always bounced on the edges, pissed me off and caused too much damage if you werent careful.
This is my experience also, but I keep thinking it has to do with something I'm doing wrong.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Abralon is where it's at.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Cory

Post by Cory »

I am kinda thinking the french wheel is going to be superfluous for my needs. I am probably going to get an Abralon hook and loop set up. Not sure if I should go independent motor or use the lathe. Opinions on that? Also, do you guys use the three or six inch discs?