Why does Rad...

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Cory

Why does Rad...

Post by Cory »

...put ball bearings in his bowls when he takes top down pictures?

Government secrets lie in the bottoms of his bowls?
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
Massis

Re: Why does Rad...

Post by Massis »

because it keeps the pipe balanced and upright?
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Its a magnet and attracts to a magnet on the base. Helps hold the pipe in any position for photography. Many pipe makers use one.
Massis

Post by Massis »

caskwith wrote:Its a magnet and attracts to a magnet on the base. Helps hold the pipe in any position for photography. Many pipe makers use one.
I'm actually in the middle of building a cabinet this way. Each shelf has 5 20mm diameter magnetic discs, 2mm thick, sunk into the wood. They have a pulling force of well over 1kg each.

And I have a bunch of 8mm magnetic spheres to put into the chamber, so I can store my pipes in a nice display kind of way.
Cory

Post by Cory »

Gotcha. Makes sense - thanks!
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I just assumed it was to hide the bad drilling.... :mrgreen:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!