Please list in level of importance

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
e Markle

Re: Please list in level of importance

Post by e Markle »

Tyler wrote:There is no question, none, that a metal lathe (of sufficient size and quality) is the best choice on the list. A metal lathe is the most significant tool one can own for pipe making. Come one, come all, I will take any comers in this debate. Metal lathe, hands down.
+1
Tyler wrote: Can you afford a metal lathe? ($2500-ish all tooled up)
If no, then:
Can you afford a wood lathe? ($1000-ish all tooled up)
If no, then:
Can you afford a drill press? ($200-ish all tooled up)
If no, then:
Buy kits.
Just wanted to emphasize what Tyler said about pricing (not in the above quote), namely you do NOT have to spend $2500 to get a solid metal lathe. My first rig was under $700 all tooled up. You just have to be patient.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

e Markle wrote:
Tyler wrote:There is no question, none, that a metal lathe (of sufficient size and quality) is the best choice on the list. A metal lathe is the most significant tool one can own for pipe making. Come one, come all, I will take any comers in this debate. Metal lathe, hands down.
+1
Tyler wrote: Can you afford a metal lathe? ($2500-ish all tooled up)
If no, then:
Can you afford a wood lathe? ($1000-ish all tooled up)
If no, then:
Can you afford a drill press? ($200-ish all tooled up)
If no, then:
Buy kits.
Just wanted to emphasize what Tyler said about pricing (not in the above quote), namely you do NOT have to spend $2500 to get a solid metal lathe. My first rig was under $700 all tooled up. You just have to be patient.
Both Andrew and Ernie have piped in to state (did you see what I did there?) their good metal lathe deals. I should have made clear that I assumed new gear in my pricing. Obviously, there are bargains to be had in used stuff, more so depending on where you live.
sam a

Post by sam a »

having recently gotten a metal lathe, i've gotta echo... if you can find a good one that you can afford... get it. if you can't... save up, it's worth it.
the rev

Post by the rev »

nah mate I was just kidding, you totally answered the question, and I understood what you were saying about the subjectivity of the question too.

As I always say, "there are no stupid questions... just stupid people"

:)

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

I agree with Tyler too. 'Cause, y'know, that matters. :P

Tyler is 100% right, though. Metal lathe does = awesome.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Nate

Post by Nate »

1. Metal Lathe
2. A beer
3. Disc (or some sort of) sander
4. Nother beer
5. Buffing Setup
6. More beer
bbeberle

Post by bbeberle »

Great topic :)

I think for me personally, I will take the middle ground. Find a good used wood lathe OR fix the one I got OR buy a new one. Either way, get a good working wood lathe for drilling, turning and sanding purposes. Other than that, after getting it tooled up I would buy w/e I needed to make stems.

To be, honest I could buy any metal lathe I wanted to right now but I've made one pipe and I cannot justify spending that kind of money on something I do not even know if I'll truly excel at. So having that middle ground equipment and still be able to make just as good of pipes as anyone else seems like a obvious choice for a beginner or novice pipe maker.

And if down the line a year or so I end up being a pretty great pipe maker or have the potential to be then I will probably have no problem buying a metal lathe. Thanks to everyone for their input, been a good read :)