Older Model 103 Craftsman Wood Lathe

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
bbeberle

Older Model 103 Craftsman Wood Lathe

Post by bbeberle »

I just picked up a working Craftsman wood lathe. It's model# is either 103 23881 or 02880 the numbers aren't quite as prevalent as they used to be. I was trying to figure out for the life of me what tool I need to attach a sanding disk to my lathe and then I finally stumbled upon the Jacobs Chuck. Well they don't make anything for Craftsman, and before I called them I tried to find the manual on my model and didn't come up with anything. I apparently need the morse taper size so I can by the right chuck. From what I have read they are either 0, 2 or 3.

So I called Sears...twice. Both times I got someone from India (I assumed) who had no idea what I was talking about. So now I am here asking if anyone happens to know...off the top of their head what the morse size is for a Craftsman 103 model wood lather. Thanks y'all :)
wmolaw

Re: Older Model 103 Craftsman Wood Lathe

Post by wmolaw »

bbeberle wrote:I just picked up a working Craftsman wood lathe. It's model# is either 103 23881 or 02880 the numbers aren't quite as prevalent as they used to be. I was trying to figure out for the life of me what tool I need to attach a sanding disk to my lathe and then I finally stumbled upon the Jacobs Chuck. Well they don't make anything for Craftsman, and before I called them I tried to find the manual on my model and didn't come up with anything. I apparently need the morse taper size so I can by the right chuck. From what I have read they are either 0, 2 or 3.

So I called Sears...twice. Both times I got someone from India (I assumed) who had no idea what I was talking about. So now I am here asking if anyone happens to know...off the top of their head what the morse size is for a Craftsman 103 model wood lather. Thanks y'all :)
Here's a cool site with a ton of information re: Craftsman wood lathes.

Can't really tell, but chances are it's a #2.

Can't believe the prices on some of these guys!
bbeberle

Post by bbeberle »

wmolaw wrote:
bbeberle wrote:I just picked up a working Craftsman wood lathe. It's model# is either 103 23881 or 02880 the numbers aren't quite as prevalent as they used to be. I was trying to figure out for the life of me what tool I need to attach a sanding disk to my lathe and then I finally stumbled upon the Jacobs Chuck. Well they don't make anything for Craftsman, and before I called them I tried to find the manual on my model and didn't come up with anything. I apparently need the morse taper size so I can by the right chuck. From what I have read they are either 0, 2 or 3.

Here's a cool site with a ton of information re: Craftsman wood lathes.

Can't really tell, but chances are it's a #2.

Can't believe the prices on some of these guys!
Here is a picture of the headstock. How do I get that tool off? I can take the pully off easy but I have no earth idea how that comes off. Does it even come off? Does a Jacobs chuck fit directly on that?

Here is the pic...

http://imageshack.us/a/img690/8311/hdr002000.jpg
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdi ... d=10323881

looks like the tailstock is a #2 taper. the headstock states a #10 taper, which i assume is a #1?
To remove the taper from the headstock you need to have access to the back side of the spindle and use a rod and hammer to pound the spur out from the back. I only say hammer because it looks to be rusted and will most likely require a little more force. I hope that is helpful.
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

fuchi_jeg wrote:http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdi ... d=10323881

looks like the tailstock is a #2 taper. the headstock states a #10 taper, which i assume is a #1?
To remove the taper from the headstock you need to have access to the back side of the spindle and use a rod and hammer to pound the spur out from the back. I only say hammer because it looks to be rusted and will most likely require a little more force. I hope that is helpful.
Hmmm, the tapers are different between the tailstock and the headstock? That's weird.

Be sure to soak it down in some form of release agent before attempting to remove the spur, will make it much easier. Usually, there is also a wrench which will allow you to hold the headstock steady (lock it in place) while you try to remove the spur.

Looks like an overall cleaning is in order.
bbeberle

Post by bbeberle »

I would assume that means a #1 because the part is listed as "#1 morse taper spur center with point". The pulley is already removed so tomorrow I will be able to pound it out and clean the junk out of this thing.

One question though, will any #1 work? Or does it have to be craftsman specific. I looked on the sears site and most all of there jacobs checks come with the arbor already installed and they are like...180-270 bucks.
bbeberle

Post by bbeberle »

wmolaw wrote:

Hmmm, the tapers are different between the tailstock and the headstock? That's weird.

Be sure to soak it down in some form of release agent before attempting to remove the spur, will make it much easier. Usually, there is also a wrench which will allow you to hold the headstock steady (lock it in place) while you try to remove the spur.

Looks like an overall cleaning is in order.
Cleaning yes, lots and lots of cleaning lol. There is a nob on the stock that allows it to lock and unlock. So just move it in the right position and the headstock is unable to turn.
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

bbeberle wrote:

I would assume that means a #1 because the part is listed as "#1 morse taper spur center with point". The pulley is already removed so tomorrow I will be able to pound it out and clean the junk out of this thing.

One question though, will any #1 work? Or does it have to be craftsman specific. I looked on the sears site and most all of there jacobs checks come with the arbor already installed and they are like...180-270 bucks.
I would think any would work, it's a size specific detail, not a make specific detail. I don't understand what you mean as to "arbor" installed. Most Jacobs chucks are inexpensive, here's a #1 for 37 bucks.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/12drillchuck1mt.aspx

You can buy keyless ones for $45. The just slide in, pressure holds them in place, and away you go!
bbeberle

Post by bbeberle »

wmolaw wrote:
bbeberle wrote:

I would think any would work, it's a size specific detail, not a make specific detail. I don't understand what you mean as to "arbor" installed. Most Jacobs chucks are inexpensive, here's a #1 for 37 bucks.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/12drillchuck1mt.aspx

You can buy keyless ones for $45. The just slide in, pressure holds them in place, and away you go!
Ok maybe I am getting my parts names wrong. All I know is the people over at Jacobs said it HAD to be a craftsman specific chuck lol. Tyler informed me not to be a fool and just get any ole regular #2. I will order tomorrow!
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

bbeberle wrote:Ok maybe I am getting my parts names wrong. All I know is the people over at Jacobs said it HAD to be a craftsman specific chuck lol. Tyler informed me not to be a fool and just get any ole regular #2. I will order tomorrow!
Now wait a minute. I didn't say, "Don't be a fool." I specificially said, "Don't be like Sasquatch."

C'mon...I'm not mean.

If you want, I can come over and check it out. I really think you can get this thing in working order. I'd also like to look at the headstock to make sure it is a normal morse taper. We should be able to tell when you get the turning spur out of the headstock. BTW, I have a rod that came with my lathe that is for whacking those out. Of course, they are usually not rusted in, but I bet it'll be fine.

The Original Tyler®
bbeberle

Post by bbeberle »

Tyler wrote:
bbeberle wrote:Ok maybe I am getting my parts names wrong. All I know is the people over at Jacobs said it HAD to be a craftsman specific chuck lol. Tyler informed me not to be a fool and just get any ole regular #2. I will order tomorrow!
Now wait a minute. I didn't say, "Don't be a fool." I specificially said, "Don't be like Sasquatch."

C'mon...I'm not mean.

If you want, I can come over and check it out. I really think you can get this thing in working order. I'd also like to look at the headstock to make sure it is a normal morse taper. We should be able to tell when you get the turning spur out of the headstock. BTW, I have a rod that came with my lathe that is for whacking those out. Of course, they are usually not rusted in, but I bet it'll be fine.

The Original Tyler®
Ya you can come over when ever, just shoot me a text and bring that tool. I'm sure we can get her working no problem. Plus a good friend of my fathers just turned me on to a guy around here whos been turning for 30 some odd years. So I can always get his help as a last resort. But I don't think i'll need it.