Bamboo Permit?

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
e Markle

Bamboo Permit?

Post by e Markle »

I know we need permits to bring briar into the country - is the same true for bamboo? I just ordered a bunch from China. Thanks.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Bamboo Permit?

Post by KurtHuhn »

A couple years ago when I made a big order it wasn't on APHIS's list, but they change their mind as frequently as the BATFE. Best to check it out to be sure.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I have no idea what these permits are. I've never gotten any sort of permit to receive briar, and I've never had a problem.

What sort of permits are you talking about?

Rad
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

RadDavis wrote:I have no idea what these permits are. I've never gotten any sort of permit to receive briar, and I've never had a problem.

What sort of permits are you talking about?

Rad
C'mon Rad, you know how ignorant I am.

I've read a few posts here about getting some kind of permit to smooth the "import" process with customs or whoever calls the shots when briar makes it into the country. I've never had briar brought into the States before so I'm in the dark here. If it's not necessary then I won't worry about it.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

A permit isn't strictly necessary, and it isn't required as long as your supplier includes a copy of the APHIS and USDA's ruling that briar is exempt from import restriction.

HOWEVER!

If your supplier does not include that paperwork, all you need is one customs inspector with a bug up their ass, and you're royally screwed. In those instances, having an import permit for the organic material you want to bring into the country is very, very helpful.

Getting a permit costs nothing, and turnaround time is a couple days if you have access to a FAX machine. It's just cheap insurance. This is the form you need:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/ ... orm585.pdf
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Thanks guys.
bornagainbriar

Post by bornagainbriar »

What about domestic bamboo? We have it growing in the wild all over the place around here. I understand it is not indigenous, but it grows here none the less (Northwest; Seattle/Tacoma area. Trouble is, none of it seems to be very 'advertising". The sections are very long, and the joints ergo are very far apart.

If I can find some suitable, has anyone ever dried their own, or taken live bamboo and worked it into a useable format for pipes?
"A pipe is a good thing for all men. For wise men, it gives them time to think and ponder. For a fool, it gives him something to shove in his mouth." - Unknown...
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

The part that is used for pipes is actually the roots. It grows very similar to bermuda grass as it is a grass itself. I have no idea if there are species variations that make some better suited over others but you could always just dig some up and see what you get.
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
bornagainbriar

Post by bornagainbriar »

NathanA wrote:The part that is used for pipes is actually the roots. It grows very similar to bermuda grass as it is a grass itself. I have no idea if there are species variations that make some better suited over others but you could always just dig some up and see what you get.
Ah, the ROOT of the tree/bush. Hmmm. I'm going to look into that.
"A pipe is a good thing for all men. For wise men, it gives them time to think and ponder. For a fool, it gives him something to shove in his mouth." - Unknown...
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

Rad is lying. He tried to get a permit, but they wouldn't let him have one. Something about being a hillbilly, and something about the Union not allowing Confederates to have fancy paperwork.

That said, I know nothing about importing bamboo from China. Maybe call customer service at Walmart? they bring a lot of stuff in from China, so maybe they can help?

Hope this helps.
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

SimeonTurner wrote:Rad is lying. He tried to get a permit, but they wouldn't let him have one. Something about being a hillbilly, and something about the Union not allowing Confederates to have fancy paperwork.
Oh, I just thought he couldn't fill out the forms because he can't write. Good to know it was a legal issue instead.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Furk you, Urnie.

Rad
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

RadDavis wrote:Furk you, Urnie.

Rad
I stand corrected. ;)
Kada

Post by Kada »

bamboo root is very hard and has a very interesting texture when cleaned. different species a have different thicknesses of the stem, and i know the PNW is trying to grow it commercially for building and such (meaning they are growing larger species). small species/young plants have thinner stems, as the plant gets older the new stems get thicker, but they dont grow thicker per stem once it has grown, like other trees do.

bamboo are made into pipes a lot here in Asia, but are generally considered very cheap...like a corn cob pipe in the west. bamboo root pipes are more valuable and infinitely more beautiful. i currently have a couple sections of root drying, when done i will snap a picture.