Gonna get my BLAST on !

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Gonna get my BLAST on !

Post by KurtHuhn »

Growley wrote:
What a great idea. I love that out of the box type thinking (sorry to use a ridiculously overused term). I tried, Lowes, tools rental places, and even 3 guys and a truck movers who wanted like $300 to do it.

I got it moved another 5 feet today by myself with a jack and a strap. She's almost in place. I just have to get her off the pallet and scooted into the corner.

So, in other news, I had an electrician come out and give me a quote to drop in a plug from my existing box, which is only 10 feet away and has plenty of space. He wanted $500 to to it. Crazy... As with most things in life...I wish I knew more about more things, so I could do it myself.
That's nuts!!!

I actually left mine on the pallet. Makes it easy to move if I need to.

As far as electronics, that part is easy. Read, research, and ask questions, but it's easy. If I can put a subpanel into my blasting shed and wire the entire thing myself, anyone can.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Alden

Post by Alden »

Yeah, what Kurt said. I wired all my outlets and my subpanel on my own, and I'm a fucking idiot.
I did have a buddy with experience to answer some questions, but in reality its very simple stuff it just needs to be done in a very particular way. Home Depot has a book called "Wiring, easy as 1 2 3" or something like that. That is all you need, though the truth is all the info is on the web. Just easier to have it all in one place with diagrams.
Very very simple stuff really.
Just dont screw it up :lol:
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Growley wrote:
So, in other news, I had an electrician come out and give me a quote to drop in a plug from my existing box, which is only 10 feet away and has plenty of space. He wanted $500 to to it.
Told ya. :twisted:

Rad
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

I left mine on the pallet, too. It was already bolted down, so what the hell.

And I wired my stuff myself, too. It's really pretty easy. The truth about most electricians and contractors is that they don't WANT small jobs, so they quote high. Exercise some commons sense and read a little and you'll be fine. You're going to hook up your blasting stuff, right? Hoses, adaptors, maybe a filter? Wiring is no harder. Just make sure the juice is off before you touch anything.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

As others have said you should be able to sort the wiring out yourself.

When I got my compressor wired up it was a little more tricky as even if i did the job myself I would have to have it signed off by a electrician for insurance purposes, rules are very strict here in the UK. Luckily the building where my mother works has plenty of electricians so she spoke to them and asked if anyone wanted a beer paid job. One came round and sorted it for me, even supplied the cable and switches from surplus stock he had, I only had to but the breaker for the Panel, labour cost me £15 worth of good beer and I got a couple of hours work out of him for that, both parties happy.

So while you are reading up on that electrical work also just put your ear to the ground for local electricians, ask work colleagues and people you know etc, I'm sure it wont take long to find someone who will work for beer, if not to do the whole job but to advise/supervise and check it for you.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

You also might try your local vocational school. Their teacher might have a student that would be willing to come over and get you taken care of. We flipped a house a few years back and rewired the entire house that way. Cheap labor, I think we paid them with lunch every day.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Growley

Post by Growley »

That's a good idea. I think I'm finally good. I called a contractor I know who recommended a guy who will do it for around $150. I'm sold.
OregonCustom

Gonna get my BLAST on !

Post by OregonCustom »

Holy Crap $500!?!? I'm an Electrician and would do that for $150... And would most likely do it for trade for a forum member.
Not sure I want my hobby to turn into my job largely because I grow to hate my job....
billiard

Post by billiard »

Awesome piece of equipment, congrats!