Tobaccos

What good is a pipe without tobacco? Discuss your favorites in here.
AAdomeit

Tobaccos

Post by AAdomeit »

...Are exceptionally hard to get up here. None of the tobacconists in my area are willing to import from the 'States.

Does anyone know a distributor for GL Pease in Canada?
Does anyone have any suggestions for a nice blend, non-flavored and preferably a Scottish blend? I think that I'd enjoy Pease's stuff, but. . . you know the situation!
jeff

Post by jeff »

Cornell and Deihl ( http://cornellanddiehl.com/ ) and www.smokingpipes.com are two of many online retailers that may be able to send them out to you

Jeff
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Tobaccos

Post by KurtHuhn »

AAdomeit wrote:...Are exceptionally hard to get up here. None of the tobacconists in my area are willing to import from the 'States.
Darn NAFTA went and ruined all sorts of inter-country shipping. Free trade, my hindquarters!

I recently sent an old computer up to a friend in BC. It took me 3 hours to wade through all the guidelines and paperwork, followed instructions from UPS, filled out forms, forms, and more forms (in triplicate), and had to deal with drooling morons in UPS's international shipping department who've only been trained far enough to say "all the information you need is on UPS's website." For the love of all that is good and sane, why does it have to be so difficult to send a 10 year old computer to Canada?

Now, just imagine trying to send tobacco! It's no wonder retailers here in the states won't do it.

If get in a bind, I have some experience (er, obviously) shipping stuff into Canada, and I'd be happy to re-mail stuff to you. Just be warned, the import taxes on tobacco are hellacious, and there's no real way around it. John McGrath told me recently that a customer of his sent him some virginia tobacco samplers as a thank-you gift, and the package arrived with nearly $50 in taxes due - for less than a pound of tobacco. So, if you do find a retailer willing to import, just be warned that you're liable to get hit with import fees.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
stdly

Post by stdly »

AAdomeit ,

I buy all my baccy from the good old USA. I have been hit with duty once in the last year and it was $28 CDN on the pound. If yo PM me I will give you the 2 places I buy from, I don't know if I should post them here.
Regards,
Steve J

Opinions! Everyone has one and everyone thinks the other persons stinks
AAdomeit

Post by AAdomeit »

Thanks guys!!!!!!

Heehee! One of my friend's girlfriends has offered me the use of her credit card for internet ordering (provided I pay her back o'course!) and I get the job as entertainment editor for the paper, I'll be using this information, certainly.

Any suggestions for Scottish blends?
Nick

Post by Nick »

Not sure if this is in the right catagory, but Gawiath and Hogarth Scotch Flake is excelent.

If what you're looking for is an english with cavendish added, then Dunhill's 965 can't be beat. Plus you can get it all over the place.
AAdomeit

Post by AAdomeit »

Out of curiosity, is Cavendish supposed to smell vaguely like licorice? One of my friends just bought me a pouch of Amphora cavendish, and it's just a bit too moist and licorice smelling....
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Eeeew! I don't know. Cavendish is really a term applied to the method of curing and prepping the tobacco, not necessarily the flavor/aroma. That said, most cavendishes I've been around have mostly had a vanilla aroma.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
hiway

Post by hiway »

Does anyone know a distributor for GL Pease in Canada?
I don't think there is one at this time. I get GL Pease from either Smoking Pipes or Cup O' Joes.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a nice blend, non-flavored and preferably a Scottish blend?
Try Bufflehead Wood Duck. I'm just finishing my first tin of Wood Duck and it's a great tobacco. Available at bufflehead.com.

Dave
AAdomeit

Post by AAdomeit »

Thanks Dave.

Further to that Amphora aromatic mentioned above, it actually is a cool-burning 'baccy! (Surprisingly). The aftertaste is much nicer than the other tobacco I've smoked (okay, I'm a noobie!), and it doesn't burn the tongue a great deal.

I'll certainly try these other 'baccy's out!
AAdomeit

Post by AAdomeit »

Anybody know anything about "Captain Black" White tobacco?

Is it an aromatic? What's the composition?

Help!!!
Nick

Post by Nick »

Very aromatic, mostly propolyne glycol flavored. I think the tobacco is mostly cavandish.