Aadomeit's Gallery is up!

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
AAdomeit

Aadomeit's Gallery is up!

Post by AAdomeit »

Hi everyone.

I finally got some pictures going - right now they're mostly sketches, but I have a pic of my Dr. Grabow bent (the one I've been bitching about for a while) as well as my Brigham estate pipe.

http://tylerlanepipes.com/modules.php?n ... &cat=10132

Please, PLEASE tell me what you think of my ideas!
AAdomeit

Post by AAdomeit »

Since posting this thread initially, I've developed three more designs - a smashed pug (with the caption, "Ever run nose first into a brick wall?"), a large 1/4 bend poker and an absolutely gigantic 1/4 bend churchwarden calabash. The way the last is designed (1 1/4" diameter bowl by 2.5" deep), it would smoke through a full adventure of Sherlock Holmes!!!
Nick

Post by Nick »

Way cool drawing buddy! You must have some achitectural traing or somthing.

Can't wait to see the pipes.
AAdomeit

Post by AAdomeit »

Thanks! I'm trying to find someone who can help me produce my designs until I get my own shop. I'm a university student with 15 years of travelling ahead of me (Eastern Canada, Scotland and Sweden), so I can't afford a shop right now! :cry: It'll come, it'll come.
Nick

Post by Nick »

See if your University has a wood shop. Or perhaps a local high school has one you could occasionally use.
AAdomeit

Post by AAdomeit »

Actually, it does, but it isn't open to me - I'm not in the workforce development program, and while I could twist some arms, I'd rather not. It's my last year before I transfer, you see. The greatest problem right now is getting briar. I'm very good with hand tools, so making pipes on a casual basis isn't a problem. But that's a story for another time, m'thinks.

What do other people think of the drawings/sketches/designs there?
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Workforce development program?

That sounds like a Politically Correct term for Shop.

Rad
AAdomeit

Post by AAdomeit »

Yup. It deals with machining, carpentry, welding (B-pressure as well as pipe) among other things. I had little to do with it when I was involved with the policy-making of the institution, so I don't know a lot about it.

I am taking a bar-tending course through them.....

Anyway.

Thoughts on my designs?
Nick

Post by Nick »

I really like the wave. The shank design is very innovative. I'm not sure whether I like the smoothe bowl shank transition or the issolated shank junction. I like the Rhodesian too. The lip you added on top of the bowl is cool. I could do without the keel on front though. Too much going on there.
AAdomeit

Post by AAdomeit »

As I was developing my designs (still am, now that I think about it), I also have developed a couple of ideas for a grading system....

Signature: my signature is quite bizarre, and it took me the better part of two years to develop it. Therefore, the Signature grade will be the top line.

Sigil: I developed a spider-like sigil that, when various parts of it are used, can spell my entire name. This will be the second highest grade.

Rune: The lowest grade, these pipes will have my initials stamped in nordic runes around the shank, just at the mortise/tenon juncture.

All pipes will dated in a M/DD/YY manner just underneath my name/initials.

Another idea is this:

Smith Grade: A hammer and anvil carved/burned into the shank, representing both hard-earned skill and dedication put into each piece of work.

Anvil Grade: Because a good anvil is the blacksmith's most important tool, this will be the second grade.

Hammer Grade: Lowest grade, will be limited to rusticated pipes (because rustication requires a heavy hand but also an equal amount of skill)

The spider Sigil mentioned above will be the backdrop against which the grade symbol will be placed, with the month on the left of the graphic and the year on the right. This will be centered on the bottom of the shank.

I'll try to get the designs posted soon!
AAdomeit

Post by AAdomeit »

REPLY TO NICK!!! *smacks self for forgetting*

Thanks!

The Helmut Pipe: One of the things that I want to try to incorporate into all my pipes is a place to rest your ring finger. I hold my pipe(s) with my thumb on the stem-side of the bowl and my fore- and swearing finger on the front. I figure that the ring finger needs to do something other than to make sure a ring doesn't fall off, and a place for it to rest is a good thing. You'll note that I included the "keel" or "battering ram" as it were on the Tooth of the Dragon as well. I'm concerned that the lip at the front of the bowl might result in ash-disturbing turbulance. Looks cool though.

The Brandy Wave: I'm not sure I'll go with the smooth shank/bowl transition myself. I included it as a webbed (like the webbing between a duck's toes) idea, but I think it looks a bit wierd too. The shank design is nifty, if I say so myself. I'm thinking that a lateral wave (side to side) would complement the vertical wave of the shank. I would be looking for a lot of bird's eye for that pipe. I'm not sure what you mean by "isolated shank junction" though. Could you explain?
Nick

Post by Nick »

Too cool bud. By isolated bowl shank junction I was refering to one of the bowl shank options you have drawn. The line where the shank joins the bowl at the very bottom, making a smooth transition is one option, and the line where the shank meets the bowl above the bottom, creating a little nub on the bottom of the bowl is the other. Isolated refers to that second option, necause you have kinda pulled out the shank. Sorry if I was cornfusaling.

I like the ergonomic idea. Pretty cool. Maybe you could tak a hand print from some one, and design a pipe to fit their hand.