Billiardesian - Old Timer

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Billiardesian - Old Timer

Post by jogilli »

Good day girls... I'm hoping your Sunday is going as good as mine is... I'll be lucky to get a new mouthpiece cut for another pipe that was also finished before I'm off on travel again for a few weeks.

Enjoy your weeks.. and comments are welcome

A little Mischling... Billiard + low riding Rhodesian = Billardesian

wdteipen

Re: Billiardesian - Old Timer

Post by wdteipen »

Nice bamboo work, James. I'm not sold on the bowl shape because it looks as though it has a beer gut. Otherwise, your execution is beautiful overall.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

tks wayne... beer guts are sexy.. so I'm told.. :D I realize it's not everybodies cup of tea.. but thats me... unfortunately, any more off the front and I'd be running too close to the tobacco chamber..

james
uniquebriar

Post by uniquebriar »

Nice shank to bamboo execution but the stummel does not look well sanded to match the bowl. It almost looks like a billard and comes to a volcano type of pipe. Overall nice looking pipe thanks for sharing.
Hand Crafted Pipes
http://uniquebriar.com
andrew

Post by andrew »

The bamboo came out nice.

Not crazy about the bowl shaping. To much weight at the bottom (beer gut).
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

Bamboo work looks good but bowl shaping leaves much to be desired. Way to fat at bottom to be called a billiard and nothing that I can see to suggest it has a Rhodesian look about it. bob gilbert
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

Thanks guys.. I appreciate your comments....I guess it's one of those pieces that's nice in the eyes of the beholder..

Enjoy
james
Cory

Post by Cory »

Don't listen to these hooligans. I dig it. I can see the billiardesian thing you were going for. I think it would have worked a bit better if the point where the angle started was a bit higher - it would alleviate the beer belly thing that everyone keeps gabbin about.
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

I like the brandy shaped bowl but I'm not a fan of bamboo on pipes, even if it is done well. One of my favorite pipes is a Svendborg that they call a billiard but has a lot of brandy in it. That bowl reminds me a bit of it, but the bottom rounds off quicker and the shank sits a little higher.
Hello, I'm #1312.
That's a really big number.
Mark Beattie

Post by Mark Beattie »

Cool. How did you achieve the finish? Is it a blast with a shellac application?
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

I rusticated it... I cut off my spade bits shanks and then take the shank portion and cut a pattern in it .. basically so it has 8 points.. mount that in a wooden handle.. thats the complicated part.. and just rusticate it

Sorry, though I don't use shellac.. i've tried it in the past and don't like it.. but that's probably because I was applying it wrong.. it's neither here nor there.. I won't use it again anyway

james