12-09 Green Imp

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Jos

12-09 Green Imp

Post by Jos »

Hi there,

next one:

A - bowl diameter: 36 mm
B - bowl height: 50 mm
C - length: 97 mm
D - tobacco chamber diameter: 20 mm
E - tobacco chamber height: 42 mm

Weight 39 g /1.38 oz., stem made of ebonite.

Critique, please ...

Jens
Ocelot55

Re: 12-09 Green Imp

Post by Ocelot55 »

That's a pretty cool looking pipe, Johs. I can't offer much technical technique, but I'll tell you what I like and don't like and you can take it all with a grain of salt.

First,I love the bowl shape and the bowl shape junction. Its got a cool look to it. I like the finish and light rustication. It fits the name you've given the pipe.

What looks off to me: the stem. I feel that this composition is very front heavy. I would have flared the shank toward the stem and used a larger and slightly longer stem.

Overall I like it. I personally think you should turn this into a series. Play around with it. I think this idea has potential.
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

Hey Jens,
Very cool looking pipe! I like how it looks kind of futuristic, yet, somehow reminiscent of work of some of the older Danish makers. I might have made the stem a bit longer (and maybe a little wider at the button) but, that's just nitpicking. Overall, though, I think this definitely works as a nice nosewarmer shape and I'd definitely be interested in seeing similar ones (if this is a series).

It actually reminds me of the pipe the French artist, Marcel Duchamp designed and made for his friend (the surrealist painter) Enrico Donati (both were pipe smokers, by the way):

Honestly, as cool as his is, I think yours is a bit more attractive, and one that I would want to smoke more, but, the style of yours reminds me of Duchamp's. Very cool. Can't wait to see more.
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com
Jos

Post by Jos »

Thanks for your comments !
Ocelot55 wrote:...What looks off to me: the stem. I feel that this composition is very front heavy. I would have flared the shank toward the stem and used a larger and slightly longer stem.

Overall I like it. I personally think you should turn this into a series. Play around with it. I think this idea has potential.
Now that's an idea I'll think about for the next one ... yes, I guess I'll make more of these.
Sorringowl wrote:It actually reminds me of the pipe the French artist, Marcel Duchamp designed and made for his friend (the surrealist painter) Enrico Donati (both were pipe smokers, by the way):
Honestly, as cool as his is, I think yours is a bit more attractive, and one that I would want to smoke more, but, the style of yours reminds me of Duchamp's. Very cool. Can't wait to see more.
Wow, Duchamps, now that's a comparison 8) ... slogan for my shop: "The guy who's better than Duchamps" :D

Jens
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Have to agree that the stummel is great; great shape, great texture, great logo. The finish is particularly intriguing; is it actually iridescent or is that just the sheen? The first photo really shows it off well.

I agree too that it's ripe for a series and I'd be eager to try a number of different stem shapes, colors, knobs, tubes, whatever. The bowl is so unique I think it could handle almost anything you throw at it but I'd favor something with more mass.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

Sorringowl wrote:It actually reminds me of the pipe the French artist, Marcel Duchamp designed and made for his friend (the surrealist painter) Enrico Donati (both were pipe smokers, by the way):

What comes to mind when I see one like this .... lazy

HTH
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Extremely original.
Best regards.
Félix

Extremadamente original.
Saludos.
Félix
Jos

Post by Jos »

Thanks for your comments !

Hudson,
Hudson wrote:...The finish is particularly intriguing; is it actually iridescent or is that just the sheen? The first photo really shows it off well.

I agree too that it's ripe for a series and I'd be eager to try a number of different stem shapes, colors, knobs, tubes, whatever. The bowl is so unique I think it could handle almost anything you throw at it but I'd favor something with more mass.
Just the sheen, iridescence might've been slightly too much ... even if I knew how to do that.
And, yes, I'm definitely going to try more variations of that shape ...

Jens
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

kkendall wrote:

What comes to mind when I see one like this .... lazy

HTH
Hey Kim,
You know, I've often heard that said about panel pipes, in general, but, I find that a well-executed panel pipe (like any well-executed pipe) is extremely difficult to get right, (symmetry, geometry, etc.) because it's much easier to see the mistakes on these. That being said, and being that Duchamp was an amateur pipe maker, I think his effort was not half bad (the facets on top of the shank, the large bevel at the shank/stem junction). Still, I do like Jens' better.
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

If you're interested in learning a little more about Marcel Duchamp, I put this slide show together, but please don't look at it if you're offended by his playing chess with a naked woman. Lots of pipe smoking, too.

https://picasaweb.google.com/PhilipH.Go ... directlink
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

Very cool slideshow, Hud,
And I would never be offended by playing chess with a naked woman, especially since I don't know how to play chess.
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

kkendall

Post by kkendall »

Sorringowl wrote: You know, I've often heard that said about panel pipes, in general, but, I find that a well-executed panel pipe (like any well-executed pipe) is extremely difficult to get right, (symmetry, geometry, etc.) because it's much easier to see the mistakes on these. ...

Let's see ... teeth marks from the lathe jaws still there - saw blade marks still there....
It's still just a kit he slapped some stain on
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

kkendall wrote:
Sorringowl wrote: You know, I've often heard that said about panel pipes, in general, but, I find that a well-executed panel pipe (like any well-executed pipe) is extremely difficult to get right, (symmetry, geometry, etc.) because it's much easier to see the mistakes on these. ...

Let's see ... teeth marks from the lathe jaws still there - saw blade marks still there....
It's still just a kit he slapped some stain on
Yes, very easy to see the mistakes on Duchamp's pipe (even without the close up). And when I described Duchamp's effort as not being "half bad," that was only taking those flaws into consideration somewhat. However, I was commenting more on Duchamp's overall design sense in this pipe. Duchamp, of course, was not a professional pipe maker (and this may have been the only pipe he ever made) but, still, to me, it does display some sense of design that I find interesting (much like Jens').

I can see how, by your standards (and many other professional pipe makers' standards), that those obvious flaws might be considered lazy (and I don't disagree with that assessment) as it regards professional pipe making. However, I was merely commenting that Jens' pipe reminded me of Duchamp's pipe in its aesthetics, not its execution. Again, Jens' pipe, I think, is much more refined, and elegant, but, to me, they both share a design sense that is futuristic, yet organic.

You may not like Duchamp's design, or find its execution lazy, but, to me, as an overall design, it's interesting. To me, just because a pipe is well executed, doesn't mean I find it interesting, and just because it isn't well executed, doesn't mean it's not interesting. It's purely subjective, of course, but, again, I was only comparing the two pipes in terms of an aesthetic style that I enjoy.
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

kkendall

Post by kkendall »

Funny - Because this is attributed to an established artist, people look at it and ponder its shape, lookt at it from all angles, try to discover what the artist was saying with it, consider its meaning in the universe, blah blah blah ...

If the same thing were done by Joe Dokes down the street, it would be seen as a pipe kit that Joe didn't make much of an effort with.
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

kkendall wrote:Funny - Because this is attributed to an established artist, people look at it and ponder its shape, lookt at it from all angles, try to discover what the artist was saying with it, consider its meaning in the universe, blah blah blah ...

If the same thing were done by Joe Dokes down the street, it would be seen as a pipe kit that Joe didn't make much of an effort with.
Dude,
Sometimes a pipe is just a pipe. Take it or leave it. If you're so interested in critiquing a pipe, why not try critiquing Jens' pipe (which is what this thread is about)?

(My apologies to Jens, btw, for engaging in a conversation that wasn't about his pipe. )
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

kkendall

Post by kkendall »

Sorringowl wrote:
kkendall wrote:Funny - Because this is attributed to an established artist, people look at it and ponder its shape, lookt at it from all angles, try to discover what the artist was saying with it, consider its meaning in the universe, blah blah blah ...

Dude,
Sometimes a pipe is just a pipe. Take it or leave it. If you're so interested in critiquing a pipe, why not try critiquing Jens' pipe (which is what this thread is about)?

(My apologies to Jens, btw, for engaging in a conversation that wasn't about his pipe. )
Apologies for the thread hijacking

The Green Imp is really unigue, imaginative, and fairly well executed. I'd be happy to have it in my rack!