Drastic repair question....

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
Yarnspinner

Drastic repair question....

Post by Yarnspinner »

Hey, guys!

I just got an email from my brother, CJ, who is in Iraq as a civilian contractor (former Army Military Intelligence). Anyway, here's the email:

Bryant,

I still have plenty of tobacco...however...I NEED HELP...I have taken a casualty...The GBD Cherrywood pipe you gave me for Christmas two years ago was, shall we say, "lost to enemy action" (severed shank right at the bowl). I am coming home for ****'s birth in February. Can you get me a name and address of one of the goodly BoBs who can repair her for me? If so, I'll ship her to them with payment while I am home.

Tell all the BoBs at the Haven I said hello, I love 'em, and thanks for voting for George W. Bush.

Love Ya Bro,
CJ

------------------

I redacted my forthcoming neice's name for privacy reasons.

So....any suggestions? From his description, can that pipe be repaired and who would be willing to take on the job? ;) ...or do we just need to have a memorial service for the pipe and find a replacement?
Smoke Rings!

Yarnie
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

yarnie, there was someone who posted a pipe in the forum gallery at one point who purposefuly (*i think*) made a stem inlay that went straight to the bowl. I nice rounded hole could be made at the bowl and a rounded tipped extension made of something elegant could be made to fit inside that. Epoxy and watch the inside of the bowl to clean it up and you'd be in business... as far as who could do it, I don't know.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Yarnie,

I'd email Mark Tinsky and describe the damage (or have your brother do it, since he's got the pipe). His email is: mt@mt.net

I've seen him repair pipes that were broken off right at the shank/bowl juncture with an almost invisible repair. If anyone can fix it, he can.

Hope this helps,

Rad
Yarnspinner

Post by Yarnspinner »

Thanks, guys!

I hadn't even thought about trying to do the repair myself. I don't have an actual shop myself at this time...but can't really think of a reason why I couldn't attempt the repair. It should give me some good experience even if I completely mess it up. After all...the pipe is already broken...I can't make it much worse. LOL! (remembers the scene from "The Princess Bride" when Inigo tells Miracle Max that the person they want the miracle for is already dead...LOL!)

On the chance that CJ wants a professional repair job done, I've emailed Mike Tinsky to get a ballpark estimate to pass along to CJ.

Merry Christmas, guys!
Smoke Rings!

Yarnie
Nick

Post by Nick »

I bet Mark can fix it up right quick.