Weird tailstock chuck...

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
PipesByDesign

Weird tailstock chuck...

Post by PipesByDesign »

Bought an Atlas TH36 that was in pretty rough aesthetic shape (will post restoration pics once I'm finished) and it came with this intriguing automatic tailstock drill chuck with the markings: Broderna Gronkvist Katrineholm, Sweden

It's been used but the mechanism works quite well.

Anyone know what it's worth? I'm not sure I want to use it, and I'd rather exchange its value for something I'd use...
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Weird tailstock chuck...

Post by KurtHuhn »

Can you post some pics? If it's what I think it is, I might be interested. No idea what it's worth though.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
PipesByDesign

Post by PipesByDesign »

It's an MT2.

caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I am assuming the front part turns while you hold the rear part to close up the jaws yes? If so then I believe it is just a very old version of a keyless chuck, I have seen similar before.
PipesByDesign

Post by PipesByDesign »

The large section rotates against a spring loaded action, which rebounds and grips the drill bit.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I stand corrected - that is not even close to what I was thinking. :)

It's very cool though.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
PipesByDesign

Post by PipesByDesign »

Yeah, it is pretty cool. The lathe I'd be using it on is still in as many pieces as I could break it down for cleaning/painting, so it's going to be a bit before I can test it for any kind of accuracy. The action is still very smooth, although the jaws don't automatically open... you have to kind of wiggle the drill bit in there. I doubt that's the way it should be. I might dissect it and clean it out. The lathe I got looked like it had never been truly cleaned. It had a couple of paint jobs over the factory paint, but I discovered that those were just painted over much of the grime in the corners and stuff. Pretty nasty. Interesting project though...and it's going to be sweet once finished.