question about apprenticeship

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Nank Brown

question about apprenticeship

Post by Nank Brown »

You read stories about European pipe makers serving as an apprentice. Or at least working under an established pipe maker for a couple of years before going out on their own, do any pipe makers here in the states take on apprentices. Or has this become arcane in our western culture? If this has become a thing of the past then that is heart breaking because an art form such as this is hard to become competent in let alone become masterful in, with out the aid of a teacher
Spes mea in deo est
Growley

Re: question about apprenticeship

Post by Growley »

Nank Brown wrote:You read stories about European pipe makers serving as an apprentice. Or at least working under an established pipe maker for a couple of years before going out on their own, do any pipe makers here in the states take on apprentices. Or has this become arcane in our western culture? If this has become a thing of the past then that is heart breaking because an art form such as this is hard to become competent in let alone become masterful in, with out the aid of a teacher
It's a great question. I would have loved to be an apprentice when I was just starting out. Heck, I could use to be one now. I think there are some instances, when location prohibits, that this is still done here in the States, but for the most part, I think this forum is the biggest source for apprenticeship type material you'll most likely come across.

I so wish this were something people still did often, and when I get good enough to be making pipes full time I'll offer it up!

Brian.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

The problem with offering an apprenticeship is that it means another person in your shop everyday, and most pipe making shops just aren't set up for two or more people to work in.

Most makers have no problem with a new maker stopping in for a day or even two or three to watch what's going on and see how that particular maker's pipes are made. This is what most "apprenticeships" consist of now. There aren't any more artisan shops that employ multiple pipe makers around that I know of, and that type of setup would be the only place to find a genuine apprenticeship, I think.

Rad
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

RadDavis wrote:The problem with offering an apprenticeship is that it means another person in your shop everyday, and most pipe making shops just aren't set up for two or more people to work in.

Most makers have no problem with a new maker stopping in for a day or even two or three to watch what's going on and see how that particular maker's pipes are made. This is what most "apprenticeships" consist of now. There aren't any more artisan shops that employ multiple pipe makers around that I know of, and that type of setup would be the only place to find a genuine apprenticeship, I think.

Rad
That is true of many areas of endeavor. Lawyers used to be able to "read for the bar," which is to say they could apprentice. No longer, not, at least, as a substitute for law school and passing the bar. Too bad, actually.
Alden

Post by Alden »

It may not be the same here, but I dont think its hampered the quality of American pipemakers one bit.
cmueller

Post by cmueller »

I will be moving back to Albany NY in the next two months and if anyone would be interested in having me visit to see how they build pipes I would appreciate it. Thanks, Craig
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Sure Craig come on by. It's about a 3 day drive but I'll make waffles when you get here.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Sasquatch wrote:Sure Craig come on by. It's about a 3 day drive but I'll make waffles when you get here.
:whisper: Be careful Craig; he puts Scotch in the waffles....
Ironpenny

Post by Ironpenny »

Sasquatch wrote:Sure Craig come on by. It's about a 3 day drive but I'll make waffles when you get here.
You never said anything about waffles to me! NOT ONE WORD ABOUT WAFFLES.
“The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.”
cmueller

Post by cmueller »

Thanks Sas, I am sure the waffles would be great but the drive would suck. However, if you throw in Poutine (fries, gravy, and cheese curds mixture) I may change my mind.